News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Can you fit an Eclipse under an 8 foot tall garage door????????????

Started by captronr, November 10, 2016, 09:12:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

captronr

We are in our new house now, and having built a 3rd garage deep enough to fit an Eclipse, just wondering if it MIGHT fit under the 8 ft tall garage door.

I know I'll have to remove the mast, and rotate down the mast and boom cradles. 

I've tried to measure the height of the mast support structure, and I know it's close to 8 ft.  But I've not been on level hard ground to the point I can get an accurate measurement. 

Now I'm nervous about the height of mast base as well....................

I do have a tractor and loader I can use to put the boat in the garage, so I can raise the tongue some (the rear of the trailer is not that far off the ground as is).  I'm hoping I can raise the tongue to clear the mast support, then lower it once past the door............

Just curious if any of you have accomplished this?????????????????????????

Thanks.
Ron
"When the world ends, I want to be in KANSAS, because its 20 years behind the times."  Plagarized from Mark Twain

Eagleye

Ron,
     I just finished putting the winter rigging and tarp on my Eclipse But I was able to go out and take a measurement.  Looking at the attached photo, that should give you a basic idea of the setup.  I measured from the ground to the top of the mast that is most aft in this picture and came up with 96".  With the mast removed and the cradles turned flat I'm guessing that the stern arch will be around 92".  You should be good to go but I don't know about the height of the mast stub but I bet if you have the option of using the bucket loader you should be able to shoehorn her inside.  I wish I had the option.

Keep us posted and good luck,
Allen
"Madame Z"   2006 Eclipse    #42

captronr

Thanks for the info/measurements.   

Probably be 3-4 wks before I can test it, but your measurements give me confidence.

Will post results either way.

THANKS.

Ron
"When the world ends, I want to be in KANSAS, because its 20 years behind the times."  Plagarized from Mark Twain

waterwheels

Ron,
I had the same kind of problem. Did renovations on the garage and carport one year....bought the Eclipse the next.
I have managed to sneak it into a carport with a 93" opening. You are correct, take the mast off, rotate the boom support. What I do is put the front end of the trailer up higher making the arch on the stern lower. Then when I get to the mast stub I lower the front of the trailer right down with a floor jack and push it in. Speaking from experience....watch out for light bulbs or anything else that hangs down. Once it is in you can level it up again. Hope this helps.
Don
"Living Water"

captronr

Wow Don, that's GREAT news!

Once I clear the 96" door openings, I have ten foot ceiling in the garage, so that will be easy.  Can't wait to get her inside.

THANKS.

alsantini

waterwheels

captronr

LOL---you guys just would like me to spend $$$ I don't have..................

I admit, it does sound nice, but we have a grandson 18 months old and a granddaughter to arrive in Dec, so the Admiral isn't going to stray out of the area soon.

Happy Thanksgiving.
Ron

alsantini

So, where are the pics of this Eclipse in your new garage.  I check here every day with no pics.  What gives??  With my boat in Florida and me in Illinois I need sailing information.  What projects are the rest of you doing for the winter?

captronr

Ugh, if I sent a pic now, it would have to be of the garage bay FULL of boxes and other toys, plus one of the Eclipse 25 miles away in gated storage.............

Thanksgiving, spent 4 days in KC with our daughter, which was fun.  Unfortunately, I'm highly allergic to her cat, so I could barely breathe when we left.  Next day, that turned into a sinus infections (typical for me).   

Had Sunday to try to recoup.  Then Monday drove to SE Colorado.  Bro in Law's Mom passed away after a long illness, and Chari's Mom was out there.  At 93, she requires pretty close supervision.  Drove all day Monday, attended the funeral Tues, and drove home all day Wed, bringing Mom in Law home with us. 

Wed morning was 13*!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Way to cold for me.

So today, will try to get into the Dr and get the truck into the shop for a couple of recalls. 

Sigh, boating moves down the list again.................

Ron

alsantini

Sounds like too much family.  But we all have days, weeks, months, years like that.  We are at Lake this morning.  Sailing group had Christmas party last night.  Gave me the opportunity to get a charge into my stored batteries from power boat, trailer, waverunner and golf cart.  We will pack up this morning and head back.  Hang in there.  Things will improve.  It took months for me to see the garage floor when we moved.  Almost a constant fight.  It is clean now - must have room for the 3 vehicles if it snows or the driveway does not get plowed.  I hate shoveling so keeping it clean.  Sail On   Al