Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

New Blocks for the Mainsheet

Started by Mundaysj, June 16, 2009, 06:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mundaysj

Hi Everyone,

After much consideration I decided to keep my traveler and simply change the blocks.  A friend felt that it was too much purchase for me in a stiff wind.  So now, thanks to Harkin, I have a 6:1 on my mainsheet.  I could move that boom with my pinkie!!  I really love it.  For all you female single-handers and men who might be getting a little older, or anyone who just wants an easier time sailing really.. I highly recommend it.  (Picture Below)

Cheers,
Sherie

Potcake boy

Well now, that looks like the proper business.

Ron
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water

Bob23

Congratulations, Sherie!
   You certainly made the right choice, spent less money and I'm sure that "Blonde" approves. (May I call her Blonde?)
   I'm sure this is more convenient than my end-'o-boom sheeting and you have more control over your mainsail shape. Not that your mainsail shape is bad. Not that I was looking or anything. (Pause to remove foot from  mouth.)
   The ship is looking great...hope you have many great hours this year of rewarding sailing. I'm glad you are posting photos. I still have yet to learn how. Bring your camera when you sail under the Verrazano-that would be a great shot.  I remember that bridge being built...yeah, I'm that old. Maybe I'm one of the older men who need that Harkin block!
   Bob23- maybe it will stop raining.

Mike

Sherie, I really like that set up.  That appears to be a 19 that you sail. A parts list for that change would be appreciated.

rogerschwake

I have the best of both on my Suncat with mid-boom sheeting and traveler. Two years ago I went to a Garhauer two speed block setup that they call a vang, must be for a very large boat. It's part number 25-2, is $200 and I used 80 feet of 1/2" line. With this setup you have 3to1 for jibs and 6to1 for fine adjustments and plenty of power for when your close to the wind. It sounds like the best of both worlds and it is. You have two lines  coming out of the lower block with a cam cleat on each, you pull both lines at the same time for 3to1 and just one, eather one, for 6to1. I know it sounds confusing but it works great and would work on any boats main sheet. Go to Garhauer and take a look for your self. I used my old main sheet for a boom vang, that is what I was looking for when I found this two speed set up. Let me know if you have any questions.

ROGER

Bob23

Mike: Sherie sails a 23. 1983 if I remember correctly. Being both in NJ, we met up a few years ago. Her boat's name is Blonde Ambition
Roger: Any modification that you have on your boat I'm sure is well thought out. Do yoy\u have any photos, my good man?
Bob23 in 10 degree F NJ!

rogerschwake

Sorry Bob, I have pictures but have never taken the time to figure out how to put them on this sight. Don't you remember that jibe mark we made two years ago in the CLR race. It was the two speed main sheet that helped me get the sail in and then back out.

ROGER

ameysails

sherie
so we changed our 1998 16cb from midship to aft with a 4-1 block and created a traveller with a SS bar using the stanchions... similar to the present Legacy.
Moving the main sheet aft seem to give us better access to the "cabin' for the smaller sailors.
But this is an awesome arrangement...great job!
A lot of line to pull vs the mechanical advantage...thoughtful trade off.

?'d ?pr

Slainte'
88   PI'd PI'pr