Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

anchor on bow roller puts furler drum at risk

Started by Tney88, October 21, 2016, 04:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tney88

Hi, all,

On our 2004 CP27, when I keep the anchor on the bow roller, the shank passes fairly close under the drum of the roller furler.  When deploying or retrieving the anchor, as the shank moves over the roller, the forward weight of the business end of the anchor causes it to tip, and the shank strikes the furler drum.  The previous owner damaged the furler drum this way once, and now it's happened to us as well.  I corresponded with Gerry Hutchins, and he can build me an offset roller into the bowsprit so the anchor is held off to the starboard side, rather than just a few inches off of midline.  Before I go forward with this project, I wanted to see if anyone else had dealt with this issue and had a solution I haven't thought of to solve this.

Terry Ney
CP 27 "SV Paradiso"
Veneta, OR

Potcake boy

Terry,

Had the same problem when I purchased my 23 pilot house. Don't think the PO ever used the anchor so it wasn't a problem for him.

My solution was pretty easy. I noted that I still had almost a foot of hoist left on the CD furler foil. I had the stay shortened 5" and I shortened the foil accordingly. I added a 5" extension plate between the furler, and the stem fitting, and all is well. There is now plenty of clearance for the anchor.  The cost was pretty minimal and there were no compromises necessary. There was plenty of adjustment on the jib lead blocks to compensate for the extra 5" of hoist.

Check how much extra hoist you have on the foil and you may have another option.

Good Luck
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water

deisher6

Hey Terry:  Using hank on jibs, I don't have the furler problem.  I can see how it would happen especially with an anchor with a long shaft like cqr plow.  Only thing that I would look into is some sort of fairlead that would guide the chain and shaft under the furler, but still allow smooth operation.

regards charlie

Allure2sail

Hi:
I have the same issues as you. I painted the last three or four feet of the anchor chain red. When I retrieve the anchor I stop the windlass when I see the red portion of the chain, scoot forward and finish pulling the last few feet by hand. Gives me a some more control over getting it back into the roller. If I used the windlass all the way I'm sure within a few deployments I'd have a busted furler drum. Also the 22lb Delta will not self launch. I have to feed out from the cockpit switch about a foot of chain then go up front, pull the hitch pin out of chain link and give it a nudge forward until it hangs. Interesting point I know the windless let's out a foot per second so I just count to myself and have a pretty good idea what I have out for chain. Painted the last 10 feet orange so I know when I'm approaching the end of the chain. I have 125 feet of chain and a small Maxwell windless. Setup works great.
Bruce
S/V allure
Swansea, MA
P.S. If you install a windless with the switch in the cockpit mount the switch where no one can lean up against it and deploy the anchor......but that's another post Ha Ha

deisher6

Saw a sailboat with a bowsprit similar to that of a C-27 that had the anchor roller mounted on the side of the bowsprit.
regards charlie

Tney88

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking about having Hutchins build for me.  Gerry quoted $400, plus I'll have to remove the bowsprit and ship it to them.  The furler drum diameter is less than the width of the bowsprit, so if the anchor was offset to be along the side of the bowsprit, it would clear the drum nicely.
Terry Ney
CP 27 "SV Paradiso"
Veneta, OR

Allure2sail

Hi Guys:
Wish I could move the roller over as well but I used the original drop point for the anchor rode and mounted the windless location based on it. Two things resulted, one is the shank of the anchor can hit the furler drum when retrieving it (pull it by hand the last 2 or 3 feet so it doesn't). Second is the Maxwell I installed crowds the inner hull on the port side. I have to use a mirror to see the site glass to check oil in it. Not really a big deal. Don't really know if it would have been worth filling in the old opening and make a new one. Works for me just a little hindsight I guess.
Bruce
S/V Allure
P.S. Charlie, I had my neck surgery and pretty much close to being 100 per cent again. Looking forward to next season and more cruising !!!

redfishnc

I just installed a Manson Supreme 22# with 30' 5/16" chain and 150' anchor rode.  The anchor seems a little shorter shanked and may extend a bit further forward.  I lowered and raised it a few times and its close.  I will be paying attention.  thanks, Wayne

Potcake boy

Hey guys, why make it complicated? Go back and read my post above. It is a simple inexpensive foolproof remedy that can be performed by your local rigger. Not only did it solve the anchor problem (I use a Rocna), but because of the additional hoist the jib clears the bow rail and I have better visibility forward.

Also, I noted that my roller has become a bit rough on the surface due to dragging shackles, chain, and anchor across it. I have found that the rode slides back and forth across the roller as the boat sails back and forth when anchored, which is chafing my rope. I had already mounted a closed chock (Windline LC-1 locking line chock) on the forward starboard side of the teak platform, and when I route the line around that, it pulls it to one side and prevents it from sliding back and forth over the rough surface of the roller. It was also a sleep remedy as the rode would snap to the opposite side making a disturbing thump noise. And who likes disturbing thumps when your anchored and the wind is up? I used to wrap a rag around the rope at the roller, but that was not a great solution.  This chock is also a quick and easy way to deploy a secondary anchor from the bow without having to reeve the line through you roller. Another bonus is that being mounted forward on the sprit it can be used as a standoff for mooring buoy lines pulled up close to prevent a contrary wind/tide situation from pushing your boat against the growth encrusted mooring ball. Here is a description of the chock, but I believe you'll have to search a bit to locate one as they don't seem to be still in production:  https://shop.toadmarinesupply.com/ships_store/index.php?p=details&ident=163218&mfc=WINDLINE&sku=LC1&prod_name=WINDLINE+LOCKING+LINE+CHOCK&sectionid=53377

Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water