a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Interesting Stuff on Older C-27's

Started by deisher6, October 24, 2016, 08:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deisher6

Had a great downwind ride Saturday from untying at New Bern Brand Marina till tying up at River Dunes 6.5 hours 32 nm.  Actually hit 7 kts at least once.

However I decided that it was to hairy getting the whisker pole down while it was flying opposite the main, so I elected to jibe to get the boom on the same side as the pole, then take the pole in.  The jibe was pretty well controlled, certainly not the hardest that I have ever done.  When I had taken in the whisker pole and settled on a beam reach I noticed that five of the sail track slugs had broken.  Starting from the second from the peak.  I had never had that many fail at one time and in a row.  Usually the part that holds the slug onto the sail fails because of oxidation, but all of these failed at the slug itself.  They left the round part in the sail track.

I considered that it might have happened because of the moderately hard jibe coupled with the new vang/boom jack.  The mainsail was from a '87, original Johnson Sail.  It had been repaired/reconditioned 2X. 

(It is really time for me to get a new main.)

Anyhow, interesting incident.  The sail worked fairly well and got me entrance markers to Broad Creek.  I replaced the slugs at the dock.

regards charlie

Allure2sail

Hi Charley:
Yes, that has happened to me a few times. A few to many, that's why I purchased a boom brake. Even broke the ones sewn in as well (sail loft job). I find sailrite the cheapest place to buy them. Best of luck.
S/V Allure
Bruce

Jim23

The same thing happened to me on my 23 late this summer. I broke 3 slugs on a harder than expected jibe. I wondered if the rigid vang may have increased the pressure on the main by not allowing the boom to rise in a gust. I suspect it's a common occurrence as the PO kept extra slugs on board and sailed without a vang. Fortunately the slugs are cheap and provide an easy repairable weak link, better than a torn sail.

-Jim