Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Storage...

Started by Bruce Woods, September 16, 2004, 11:02:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce Woods

I have limited storage.

Seems to me I should be able to find some clear stacks that could hold my boat tools and goo of various kinds...5200, etc...Right now, it all goes into the orange box...

Was thinking of those hammocks, too...not sure how strong they are...

Just musing...not really trying to have all the topics listing my name as last contributor...really...

CaptK

Bruce -

I've been wrasslin' with storage, trying to find the best way to go about it.

The little gear hammocks are OK, but are pretty flimsy - IMO they are OK for storing lightweight things, and work good also for damp towels, since air can circulate to dry the towel. Much heavier than a wettish towel and they sag alarmingly. :)

Hard boxes vs soft : My compromise so far has been to use both.

In the under-berth lockers, I am using cheap small duffels to keep gear sorted and accessible. This works OK, but would be even better if I'd go ahead and cut/make a couple more access ports, so I wouldn't have to pull out quite so much stuff to get at that bag waay up there in the front of the locker. One thing that helps in that situation is that over time, I have gradually sorted contents of the duffels, until now the stuff I need most frequently is in bags near the access hole. Also, I try to go through the various bags from time to time and pull out unneeded or unused articles, and get them off of the boat.

Hard boxes I keep on the port quarter berth, from which I have removed the cushions. Mostly in these containers are cooking supplies, food, and tools. I think the ideal solution for hard boxes would be, once you've found the right-sized box for the particular storage job, to make shelves which had spaces specifically for the hard box, and then have a strap mounted to hold them in place when the boat heels. This is what I'll do when I have my interior "furniture" modification figured out, and start building it all in.
My other car is a sailboat.

sailFar.net
Small boats, Long distances...

Bruce Woods

well, I agree with that approach, within my limited space. I have camping gear that I use  for the boat or for the camping trips. So, I have a rubbermaid box that has boat stuff only needed for overnighting....

I would like a clear container, but the ones I know about you can't really see what is inside them...

I would like a moisture proof one, too...

Duffels are good because they can shape to fit...

At this point, I have some bilge storage that I don't use because it is inconvenient..

As you say, though, each trip I change it a bit and hope for the best....

CaptK

Over two and a half years to date, and I was moving stuff around yesterday. :) It'll never end, I'm sure... :D
My other car is a sailboat.

sailFar.net
Small boats, Long distances...

Bruce Woods

I have the daysailor stuff, the overnighter stuff...

Probably about as well as I can compartmentalize....

Just recognizing the boxes to take is the key....

Can't stand the thought of waking up without the coffee set up...

pbrenton

I got Don Casey's "100 Tips..." for Christmas, several caught my interest, but one in particular was relevant here;

He mounted rails under the cockpit seats to either side of the cockpit hatch and put closet organizer type drawers (the type made of vinyl covered wire in a square basket-like configuration) in there as slide out "trays".  If more than one fit on one side he recommended bungeeing them together.

This seems to me to be perfect for "goop" and sealant storage, winch handle, bilge pump handle, flares and airhorn; they sit under there above the bilge and out of the way, but easlily reached in need.  Space otherwise useless (unless you have something particularly tall under your cockpit seat) is made useful.

Note that I have not implemented this yet.  I expect tohave trouble finding just theright size basket/drawer like this; (experiment coming)

The right size must fit inside the opening of the cockpit locker with minimal difference in the port-starboard dimension (the fore-aft dimension must be smaller, but a lot smaller is not a problem).  Don uses simple wooden rails for this; that should provide enough friction so that it would be tough for these things to slide around when the boat pitches.
Peter Brenton & Family
Compac 27 "Nydra"
Chebeague Is ME and Medford MA

Craig Weis

On the C-P 19 I use a 6 gallon bucket under the seatees on one side, and a 16" x 16" opening in the vee birth in front of the compression post [needed to remove about three inches of sprayed in foam about four inches thick with a exacto blade. That is there to quite the hull when beating into the wind.] that is a pretty good space to use.

Have not done it yet but keep toying with the idea to remove the stiffener block of foam under the cockpit sole. Replacing the necessary support with a welded aluminum plate with load caring frames down to pads epoxy-ed onto the inside of the hull. Stow spinnaker bag, cooler, and tool box. Hate to put the weight that far back in the stern but...skip.

Radicalcy

I use the "Glad" brand refrigerator storage boxes. They come in just about any size as long as it's small, they are more or less air and water tight, and they are cheap, and replaceable. They are easily stacked, and can be secured with bungees. I use them under the settees in the cabin, in the lockers above the settees, and in the assorted drawers and nooks and crannies. I even have a couple in the bilge under access hatches.  I have also found Rubbermaid shoe and bathroom containers that are tall enough for larger items like cleaning supplies and brushes that will fit in various locations.
  Now, that said, I'm talking of larger spaces on my Columbia sailboat, but in looking at the available space on my Com-pac 16, under the cockpit, it should be a simple matter to build in a couple of lockers custom sized for these containers. I'm thinking open shelves with high fiddles, and eyebolts on the ends to hook bungee cords to. I can store all the tools and cleaning supplies, spare hardware, bulbs, wiring, fuses, etc, with no problem.
   Another alternative is the 3 gallon paint pails with "O" ring sealed lids. They are much shorter than the 5 gallon buckets, and will fit in considerably tighter spaces and still leave room for a porta potty.
Now if I can just find room for a diesel generator and that 27" flat screen TV.
Larry Wilson
Com-pac 16
Richmond,Va.

Craig Weis

When I went to the all sailboat show in Chicago last year, I found and purchased two small blue mesh 'line bags' that fit well on either side of the vee birth cut-outs. These are just screwed into the plywood and run fore and aft.
I use these to toss my car keys, wallet, harbor guide, fly swatter, quick referance manuals, flashlight, cell phone, and maybe items that my guests may wish to store. It's great for small items that you don't want to go over the side.
Can't think of the product name. Maybe 'Blue Dalphin' or...