Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Painting the stripe above the waterline

Started by thomeng55, March 12, 2017, 04:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thomeng55

Anyone done this?  Any recommendations?

The last haul out really "tore up" the strip.  Since its paint, is it best to repaint the whole stripe or just touch up the area that was scraped off.  In repainting, what are you thoughts on changing the color.  Its a traditional Blue but I would like to "re-image" my boat. (how's that sound... just made it up)  I have a bottom paint this spring and thought of color changing.

Also, what kind of paint?  An Awlgrrip?

Thanks for any thoughts.  I can't wait to launch.

Tom

SV TomCat
Chicago

wes

Tom - the best performance would be achieved with a 2-part polyurethane. I used Interlux Perfection on mine although of course Awlgrip is a great choice too. You will have to 100% remove the old stripe since 2-part polys can't be applied on top of old paint unless it is also a 2-part poly (doubtful). Mask with 3M fine line tape, scuff sand with 220 grit. Roll-and-tip works very well.

Most people however use a 1-part poly, such as Interlux Brightsides. It works fine and can be applied on top of many old paints (scuff sand from first) but isn't as hard and long-lived (nor as expensive) as the 2-part products.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

thomeng55

Thanks Wes

I appreciate the feedback.  I might stay with Blue on (old) blue, just for simplicity.  I found a blue bottom paint I liked with a darker blue color.  The last color was pretty much a baby blue which I did not like.

Thanks

Thom

Reighnman

Really do a thorough prep with sanding and cleaning. I did a half-a#$ job last year and it's basically flaking apart. I used rustoleum paint and aside from my poor prep work, the paint seemed to work fine. It's the poor man's lobster, wait that's monkfish. Think the can was $15 at local hardware store. There are plenty of youtube and articles on applying it. I'll be doing the cove stripe this spring, and will be using Interlux Brightsides which was $40. Think the trick is very light coats that are diluted with a thinner so the paint tips.
Siren 17, O'Day 222, CP 19, CP 25, Sunday Cat

relamb

The previous owner had painted over the brown stripes on my CP23 with Sherwin Williams Marine topside enamel.   I think they carry it at Lowes in areas near the coasts.  There was an old pint can of it left in the boat.
It held up well except where I scratched it several times over the course of a couple of years.  When I got the boat ready to sell I bought a new can and painted over it yet again, it held up fine. The prior owners must have painted it several times, I could see the paint was quite thick where I scratched it.  I had to put on 3-4 coats to get it to match and fair out.
On my CP27 I scratched the brown stripe a few times.  I sanded it out, masked, and used regular rustoleum brown in a spray can to touch up the spots.  It matched perfectly, and seems to be holding up well on it's 2nd year.
Rick
CP16 CP23 CP27
Zionsville, IN