a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Phenolic washer For ARCO 6

Started by Kefaa, September 11, 2016, 11:03:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kefaa

I recently purchased a ComPac 23 and the port winch was stuck solid.  Upon pulling them I found that someone thought "more grease must be better" and on the port side lost half the Phenolic washer with the other half missing about 1/3 of the outside surface. 

Before heading "down under" for the possibility of the part being found there, I was hoping someone may have come across a place in the US to buy just the Phenolic washer (3/1000th thick, 3/4 ID, 1 7/8" OD).   

Everything else seems fine and I am cleaning it all up, but the washer is a must have. 

Thank you.

brackish

3/1000? .003?  that is very thin, can't imagine how that would hold up to anything?  Do you mean .030"?

You may have to get some sheet and make it.  I did see some 4" x 4" by 1mm (.039") on Ebay for about 5 bucks. Have acess to a drill press? Maybe you clamp it between two backers establish a pilot hole, use a hole cutter on the OD and a fostner bit on the ID.

Didn't see any sheet or washers down to .003

Kefaa

You are of course correct.  It should have said ~1/8" thick.  Make my own is an option as a do have access to a press but I was hoping for better tolerances than I might create.
Thank you!

Kefaa

For those who may be looking for the same, I recieved the following reply from http://www.huttonwinches.com/

This was a 1/2 split washer used in the old Arco 6, You can cut this out from a this 1/16" plastic sheet, like the lid of an ice cream container. It just keeps the ratchet pawl set apart.

We can manufacture if you wish:

Split washer set                  $12.00
Insured air mail                  $20.00
Total                             $32.00 US

I am going to make the attempt to cut one as brackish suggested.