a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

C-27 Hatches

Started by deisher6, October 20, 2016, 01:43:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deisher6

After taking care of the stuff that makes the boat seaworthy, one of the first things that I replaced was the Plexiglas in the two hatch cover.  The original was badly crazed and just translucent.  I had it replaced with tinted lexan.  Unfortunately the day after I installed the hatches I sprayed silicone on the gaskets and the propellant etched the lexan.

So after two years I am replacing the lexan with lightly tented safety glass.  Register's Glass, a local shop two blocks from my home, has done a good job replacing not only the glass in the hatches but also the glass in the portholes.

I am really pleased with the outcome.  If the new glass proves to let in to much light I can always have it tinted.

regards charlie

thomeng55

They do look nice.  Is it strong enough to stand on?  How about the shock of a block getting dropped. I don't know much about the glass but I have hatch lense replacement on my list of "To Do".. so always looking for a good solution.

Thom
SV TomCat
Chicago

deisher6

Hey Thom:
It is two ply glass, with plastic in-between the layers.  It will shatter if you drop a winch handle on it.  It will support my weight since the area is pretty small.  It is a bit heavier than the lexan so I had to tighten the support friction screw more than normal to keep the hatch open on the first trial this morning.  I will take the trade off(s) for clarity, looks and usefulness.

Should be going out soon and if anything doesn't work out I will post.

regards charlie

BobK

Charlie,
It looks so clear you will have to come up with some sort of shade.  Definitely clearer than lexan.
BobK

Wayne J

Thanks Charlie--- Maybe I can find smoked glass for mine!

Wayne
CP-16/2 1986
Catalina Capri 14.2 1985
Richmond, Virginia