- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Suncat Trawler Moto-sailer - Picture

Started by cruz-in, July 29, 2016, 07:47:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cruz-in

Pict from http://www.sailboatrichlands.com

Here is a quote of the words assicuated with the pict:

"5Feb15 Keith: what is your opinion on a pilothouse mod for a Suncat motorsailer or a Suncat Trawler? The reason would be for more room to get out of the weather and a possible inside helm. Would the sailing version need ( clearance) mast hinge changes. Thanks.

Answer: We built the Coastal Packet on a Sun Cat hull and deck. We added extra hull length to meet Coast Guard powerboat requirements. Then we decided to keep a mast in the cockpit and the boat didn't have to be 20 feet long. Sometimes you have to do it the hard way to find out what works. To my way of thinking, the Coastal Packet has good looks, sleeps a man and his wife, has a diesel that I like and it is very portable. The Coastal Packet modification is expensive.

We also have 2 generic trawler houses that will fit almost any small sailboat. The secret to the generic house is the aft end of the house connects in the front of the cockpit and overhangs the bridge deck. With a canvas cover at the house entrance, the house will stay dry inside. The Sun Cat might take our large house. The house would be big and the cockpit would be smaller in that configuration. The reason I say a large house may work is because the Sun Cat is a wide boat. With the overhang, you can cut out most of the bridge deck and make the inside much larger. Of course, the small house will work. With that configuration, you would have less space inside and more cockpit.

If you keep the catboat sailing configuration, the mast stub would need to be taller. That type of rig would be a little complicated on a small boat and I like the mast in the cockpit option."

cruz-in

Pic of Com Pac 16 Trawler from same website: