a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

In Need of a CP27 Trailer

Started by Jma1_nemo, May 08, 2016, 02:58:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jma1_nemo

Ok Com-Pac owners, we are pretty new to the forum and ready to pull the trigger on a CP27 that we will be trailering btwn Florida and other locations in the midwest.  We are getting ready to contact Triad trailer for a new custom float-off trailer, but thought I should start a thread just to make sure someone did not have a suitable trailer, they were thinking of parting with, so it you do, speak up now please  & Thanks

MacGyver

When I worked in the industry I will tell you that Triad had the nicest trailers I had seen. Loadmaster might have been a close second if not 3rd.

Hope you find one, but if you do buy from Triad you will be setup really well.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Jma1_nemo

Thanx MacGyver, Triad is at the top of my list.

peterg

I had Triad build a custom float-off for my full keel Folkboat- their work and communication are second to none. They make trailers that are over-engineered (a good thing), and you will have no trepidation about towing anywhere. Go the extra buck for the hot dip galvanize versus the epoxy paint- you won't regret it. Good luck!
Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
CP-16 Beagle 4 (sold)
CP-19 Athena (sold)
CP-19 Beagle (sold)
CP-27 Afternoon Beagle (sold)
CP-23 Beagle 3  (sold)
Ranger Tug "SisterShip" (sold)
Simmons Sea Skiff 1951 "Rebecca Ann"
Herreshoff America  (the original Horizon!)   (sold)
Arch Davis Wooden Gaff Rigged Dinghy
Windrider 16   2015 (sold)

Patrick

Quote from: Jma1_nemo on May 08, 2016, 02:58:34 PM
Ok Com-Pac owners, we are pretty new to the forum and ready to pull the trigger on a CP27 that we will be trailering btwn Florida and other locations in the midwest.  We are getting ready to contact Triad trailer for a new custom float-off trailer, but thought I should start a thread just to make sure someone did not have a suitable trailer, they were thinking of parting with, so it you do, speak up now please  & Thanks

I just used my Triad to retrieve my 27 and haul it 1200 miles north.  It is an AWESOME trailer.  If you will do any long distance towing, it is well worth the expense. 
CP 27/2 - #169 - Sagacity - Peoria Heights, IL

Harrier

And what was the expense?  If you don't mind?

redfishnc

I talked to them a couple of years ago and it was around $5600.  That was how I wanted it and I only remember that I did not want a launch trailer. 

thomeng55

Well... I got a SailTrailer out of Georgia.  It hauled my CP27 just fine from Florida to Chicago (1400 miles)  The cost was about $4250.  I expect to do short hop hauls at the beginning and end of the season, and maybe one trip back to Florida.  Saves me the storage cost, I normal store the boat at my work on the trailer then bring to 40 miles to my house for spring and fall projects.

I am very please with this trailer.

redfishnc

Hey Tomcat, can you tell us about the trailer.  Electric or surge brakes?  Brakes on both axles?  Come with a spare tire?  Do you launch or travel lift?  Galvanized trailer?  Looks like a good price.

thomeng55

The spare was extra, but no more than buying one on the open market. The owner was very nice, helpful and knowledgeable.  He is a sailer who just had trouble paying 6 to 7 K for a trailer for his sailboat, so 20 years ago he made his own, them kept on going.

I have a price sheet with all the options I can send you if you give me an email. 

This trailer is not galvanized.  It is an option to have that done.  Most of what I do is store on the trailer, and maybe one or 2 long hauls.  I dont expect to "in and out" often but I really like the convenience of working on my boat, at my house instead of at a year.

THis is a Float off model.  It has a long extension (24feet I think) to make that easy.  Back her up and she floats right off the trailer (make sure the ramp is long enough)

I got LED lights because I expect to submerge the trailer.

There are electric brakes (which work AWESOME - I only had surge brakes in the past on me 23)  I think they are all 4 wheels, but cant swear to that. 

I picked up the trailer in Columbus, Ga drove to Ft Lauderdale, had the CP27 lifted onto the trailer, them drove it home to Chicago in 2 days.  No problem at all with the trailer.