a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Trailer Surge Brakes

Started by hazelscamp, October 24, 2006, 02:23:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hazelscamp

I am considering retro-fitting surge brakes (disc type) on my one axle Performance trailer.   I am towing an Eclipse that weighs about 2500 lbs with gear and the trailer weighs another 700 lbs.   The trailer capacity is 3,000 lbs.

I plan on towing the boat about 400 miles over relatively flat land (Florida), on a frequent baisis.   The tow vehicle is a 6cyl Toyota Highlander.

Has anyone done an evaluation on surge brakes for this size load?   Any ideas on where I could search for a discussion of this topic? 

saillover

While you are considering installing the brakes also consider the issues associated with submerging this brake system in water (salt?) frequently. Do you like driving with surge brakes? I find them annoying in stop and go traffic. Your vehicle is rated to tow your trailer and when driving cautiously should not have any problems stopping in a reasonable distance. Have you had problems stopping? I tow a PY23 at 4300lbs. with trailer with my Toyota FJ Cruiser 6cyl with no problems as long as I pay attention. Maybe I just don't like surge brakes...

BrittainMach92

I recentlly had surge brakes installed on my Performance trailer because Ohio law required brakes on trailers grossing over 2000 lbs.   In addition, I feel more confortable knowing I have trailer brakes.  The complete brake and axle assembly was necessary for a proper fit and the cost was reasonable.  (1050.00).

Eclipes
Winds Aloft
BrittainMach92@woh.rr.com

hazelscamp

Saillover & Britten,  thanks for the input.   I haven't added the brakes yet but you have some good points.   I think I will spring for stainless disc brakes on this job.

Thanks and good sailing.