a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Swing arm mount for GPS

Started by Robert T, March 16, 2022, 06:02:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert T

I want to mount a small GPS to a swing arm mount on my Sun Cat.  It seems that the only one commercially available is the RAM-109VU.  I'm sure it is a beefy unit, but it seems like overkill to me.  I'm thinking of making one myself out of teak.  Has anyone made their own swing arm mount?  If so, a picture would be great.  Thanks.

Cpy23ecl

I used the RAM 109V for my Garmin 54cv gps and it has worked well.  I figured by the time you bought teak and the time spent to make something it wouldn't really be much of a savings.

Fred

johnno

I've seen a few on the web, some better than others. I'm doing mine differently (posts on the Eclipse section). Hope these are useful.

Gerry

Gerry "WyattC"
'81 CP16

Robert T

I finished installing my GPS today.  I took Fred's advise and purchased a RAM-109VU swing out vertical mount.  I purchased a piece of teak cut-off from a local lumber yard to use as a pad for the mount.  I cut the port side of the pad to match the angle of the companionway trim, then rounded the corners and put a 1/8th inch radius on the edges.  My wife did her usual outstanding varnish work on it.  I attached the pad to the bulkhead with Scotch Extreme mounting tape.  Hope it holds.  If not, I can always epoxy it to the bulkhead.  See attached photos.

Robert T

Here's the other photo.

brackish

Mines on a Ram Mount, not sure what model number for the components that made it up.  Truthfully, in twelve years probably only used it a half dozen times, a few times running in skinny water down on the Gulf and a few times on low visibility night sails to get back to the Marina on my home lake.  I'm a woodworker so I really like the one Johnno made.

McNemo

I ordered one of these mounts for my Humminbird Helix that has followed me from boat to boat. It might be a bit overkill, and adds a bit of that "NASA/Apollo Lunar module-sheik" to the interior d?cor, but I named my Sun Cat ARTEMIS, so it fits. ;D

https://www.balzoutllc.com/

P.S. Not a fan of the terrible name branding, so that is getting painted over for sure.
Brian
Sun Cat - ARTEMIS
St. Augustine, Florida