a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Buying a CP-19

Started by n.gorsuch, November 20, 2006, 08:26:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

n.gorsuch

Hello, I'm new here and thinking of buying a CP-19.
What would be a good price for a boat around 10 years old, and what sould I look out for when buying?

pelican

I am not an expert, but price depends on condition and location demand.

Replacement sails can cost 1500.00
replacement trailer               1500.00
Replacement motor               1500.00

Check overall condition for neglect
Check for hull and keel damage
Check for bent mast, boom and related hardware
Check for interior leaks around top cap ,rub rail joint
Check for bad standing rigging. (meat hooks)
Check for rotten Lines ropes
Check for broken blocks ( pulleys)
Check for leaks around portholes.
Check for tight rails- lifelines
Look for water /rain stains in interior
Look for rotten wood around interior
Check battery,fuse block switches for corrision.

The list could go on. Most importantly, get someone who knows boats to look at your future purchase before you buy.

The good : These are very well made boats. My 19 is a 1982 and has many sailing miles on her including several Florida - Bahama crossings made by the first owner. They are simply a high quality boat squeezed into a small package. They sail well and are forgiving of mistakes.

Good sailing

pelican

PS I see decent C19 selling in our area for $ 4000.00 to $8000.00

n.gorsuch

thanks pelican,
how much weather can this small ship handle? is it really a safe off-shore boat?
and where do I find a accessories such as sun shades, mast lowering systems etc.etc.?

pelican

They are not classed as a blue water boat but they handle rough weather well for the size. It gets to the point where the bouncing around gets uncomfortable in a small boat.

Also, type of sea , current ,wind speed and crew experience plays into it. I have out on some days where we had approaching cold fronts with 20 + winds and Gust of 30. I believe the boat can handle rough weather as good or better then most comparable boats of that size. The light wind performance is not as good as some boats,but it sails as designed for this area. Every boat is a compromise and it just depends what is important to you.

Most people I know create their own method for mast raising. Information on how is available on most sailing sites. I would think, most  boat top makers could make you a sun cover.

Good sailing

crbakdesign

I'll  also take a  stab at some of your questions. These are common themes that have been discussed before in the forum, you may want to do a little search or browse through the back posts in the CP 19 discussions.

The Compac 19 is a very stable boat, with a sizable ballast below her hull relative to her sail plan.  That said, the key factor in considering any boat is where you intend to sail her and in what conditions.  A Com-pac is a shoal-draft cruiser, well suited to coastal waters and lakes.  She has hard chines and heels less than the 16 and the 23 and most lake boats in her size range.  I have sailed mine in very stiff breezes, but mostly in protected waters, where the waves are under 4 ft typically.  I have a small storm jib (12 sq.ft) and reef the mainsail when necessary.  I'd be ducking in a safe cove in winds over 30 knts, only because I sail a boat for pleasure and don't want to panic the crew.  On the other hand, many of the larger lake boats in my marina and sailing club are much lighter, with more sail area and would never leave the slip in anything but light to moderate breezes. They do got more room below decks, to play cards and tell stories when the winds blowing too strong, but our cabins are comfortable too.   The Com-pac is a compromise between stability and sailing range. It's not just a party boat, and it sails well in a strong chop.

Com-pac 19s have been sailed to the Bahamas across open seas and shipping lanes but only in fair weather.  That's like sailing across Lake Michigan from Millwaukee.  But that's the extent of it.  There are similar sized boats which are true blue water boats, with deep keels and a higher keel/ballast ratio, designed for off shore sailing.  They are also much more expensive, heavy, and not easily trailored or sailed in the shallow waters of our lakes and coastal areas. Any boat or ship can be knocked down, and a small boat is not necessarily more at risk than a larger boat if it can ride the waves and stay bow on with a tight balanced rig.  The biggest danger for any unsecured boat  is a wave breaking over the beam especially with the hatches open, or scuppers plugged.

Biminis are available for around 2-300.00 from boating discount stores.  Two people can lower and raise the mast without any system, and most folks make their own contraptions.  I used a two-by-four rig with a block and shackle for the jib halyard and a 5/16 line through a snap shackle and block at the bow, back to the winch to raise and lower the mast.  Look at Marcus's album in the owners gallery.

pelican

Not to beat a topic to death, but the reason I have a Compac now is , having grown up in Clearwater , there was never a shortage of old abandon boats. People would tire of paying slip fees and maintaining their boats so they would leave them or cut them loose to float up somewhere.

Us kids would pole them,sail them, fish on them and go on, what seemed like adventures.  As a young twenty something my friend and I were given a C16 in exchange for cleaning up a marina. The sails were rat eaten and the boat looked terrible.  We beat the boat to death taking it out in rough weather. Surfers love to surf when hurricanes come close so we tried surfing in the C16. We sunk the boat and it piled up on the beach only to be bailed and pushed back out by a group of us to try it again. We broke or bent every part of that boat and we were still able to rig it up again for more fun.

In short , that old C16 was a tough little boat

Good sailing

mgoller

When I bought my CP19, I bought it sight unseen.  I went off photos of the hull, topsides, interior and description.  When I arrived to pick it up it was better than the photos showed.  I paid full price with no haggling - $4000.  But, I am me and wouldn't recommend my reckless buying. 
But, the Com-Pac boats are very strong and there is little that can't be fixed.
You can't sail a Com-Pac fast enough to punch a hole in the bottom unless the boat is dropped on a sharp unmoveable object by a wave crest.
This summer I sailed in 3 foot swells and 20 knot winds with gusts to 30 knots.  The boat handled it better than I did.  I got really tired after 10 hours single handing in heavy winds.
The boat is designed like a lifeboat and if treated as such in heavy weather it will get you home.  I would consider this a coastal cruiser racer.  The specs if you type them into a sail boat calculator come out cruiser racer, great ballast to weight ratio, large sail plan, good weight to waterline ratio etc... 
Great for lakes, daysailing or a long weekend.  If you were to want to make long passages you might consider renting a 35 footer for that type of sailing.

pelican

We had our C19 out in the rough stuff yesterday. We were happily beating down the coast when we came upon a pair of other makers popular 22 footers. They seemed to be fighting the boats to keep control. We exchanged pleasentries as we passed and made sure there were no real problems.

It was one of those days when we found our groove. The boat was balanced and sailed beautifully..... I was proud of the old girl.

Good sailing