News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

HC/HDC owners, how do you get back on your boat using the transom ladder?

Started by littlewing, June 30, 2016, 12:40:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

littlewing

I went and checked out a HC. I think they are really nice boats, and quite possibly there could be one in my future. Two things kind of bothered me. The first is gaining access to the inboard diesel, prop shaft etc for service. I can see it taking some time, patience, and probably some contortions to get it done, provided you don't have all your belongings on board. But I think it's doable.  Now for the second concern, and most puzzling to me, is how do you get back on the boat using the transom ladder without tearing down the boom gallows? There's seemingly nothing else to grab onto.  Mainsheet?  Boom?

rbh1515

There's not a lot of action in the HC area.  I have a HDC with an outboard and no stern ladder.  The bilge is next to impossible to access on my boat.  My neighbor at the marina has had an HC for ten years an has not mentioned anything about difficult access.
I figured it would be better to have a portable ladder for my boat.  Didn't like the stern ladder.
Rob
2015 Horizon Day Cat, Waters End

Craig

Actually you won't tear out the boom gallows. Much sturdier than you might think. Better if you grab it about the middle rather than the top though. I have climbed aboard using the ladder while the boat was on the trailer. Awkward but doable. Mine is there more for getting aboard in case of an overboard incident(ugh!).
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

Tom L.

My Sun Cat has the same ladder. I think Craig is right it is best to rely on as a safety net if you accidentally go overboard. A frightened man or woman can do amazing things when it is necessary.

I have seen some ladders similar to ours that have a small platform. The platform bolts to the transom about 12" down from the deck. The swing down ladder is mounted to the platform.The Platform has hand rails that come up above deck level and then forward before they  bend back down and are be bolted to the rear deck. A lot like a small swimming pool ladder.May try that some day. When swimming with the alligators down here you need a quick exit strategy.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

Subsailor637

I have the inboard diesel on my 2013 HC.  I would say the engine access (for a sailboat) is pretty good.  Bilge access is rather tight but not much worse than on my previous 40' Carver Aft Cabin!  I did have a little better access to packing nut on my Catalina 34.  As to the swim ladder; we attended last year's CLR and were swimming off the boat ever day. You basically do need to grab the boom gallows post but we did that low on the post just to get up right on the ladder.  You can then also use the end of the boom and also the main sheet for added support.  I'm 6' and the ladder was adequate to get me on and off (only weigh 180 though).  We didn't have any problems and I never felt we were putting undo stress on anything.  Love our Horizon Cat!
2013 ComPac Horizon Cat DOLPHIN
Punta Gorda FL

littlewing

We swim every day we are out on our little boat, so a decent ladder is required, especially considering I've got significantly more poundage than Subsailer.  I'm intrigued by the platform and railing you described, Tom L.  I hope to be taking another look at a HC soon and will try to envision the boarding process again.