a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

C-16 Newbie with Rigging question

Started by lweisman, May 20, 2016, 12:04:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lweisman

Hi.  I just bought a mostly restored '81 Compac 16, here in Vermont (Lake Champlain).  It's my first "real" sailboat though I have a little sailing experience.  The seller mounted the fixed traveler blocks at the aft corners of the cabin roof (rather than at the stern), which she said is an alternate rigging approach.  The mainsail is a free-foot type.  I stepped the mast and attached the boom yesterday.  The boom is naked as far as any place to hang a traveler block.  I have a nice Harken 57c dual pulley which came with the boat.  I assume it needs to hang somewhere midstation on the boom but I don't know how (or exactly where) to do that.  I did a quick survey of postings here but couldn't find the topic, though I'll bet it's come up.  I could drill a through hole through the boom.  The seller said to use a boom bail.  What is the right way to do it?  My local sailboat guru is in Maine, working on his steelhull.  I have about 50 other questions, but I'll start here, thanks.
Lee
Lee
Lake Champlain, VT

tmw

Can't be too many ComPac 16 sailors here from Vermont, so I'd guess you bought hull 710 from GretchenG?

Does this thread:
http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=4908.msg56077#msg56077
have the inspiration she might have used...

lweisman

Yes, from Gretchen in tiny South Strafford, VT.  I'm afraid it's her 3 year old dream restoration that ran out of steam (as boat dreams are wont to do).  Nice folks, and the restoration work that got done was pretty nice.  And lots of new parts, new rudder and tiller, new blocks, etc.   Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.  I'm also wondering about other C-16 owners in the Lake Champlain Valley.  Lots of boaters up this way, big lake, I'll bet there are some.
Lee
Lee
Lake Champlain, VT

Seadub

What a cool small world of ComPacanauts! Lee, don't know if this will be helpful, but perhaps food for thought.  Here's the setup my 16 came with, which I slightly modified. Mainsheet begins on the boom, through the two blocks, then forward to the mast under the boom, through another block, to a deck-mounted Ronstan block/cam cleat, then out to the cabin. The PO set it up to accommodate the stern pulpit. I through bolted clam cleats on each side of the vertical pulpit supports, which stops the bronze shackle from sliding side to side  and allows a small measure of "travel", though I usually leave it in the center. Al Santini helped me sort this out by kindly sharing pics of the mainsheet setup on his Eclipse.

mattman

After the main is on you can use a sail tie  to shackle the block. Probably a rolling hitch would do. Just thinking out loud, I have not done this...although I know a few sailors that rig preventers that way.  good luck.

Craig Weis

Oh my. Looking at the fotos and thinking about all the different ways this boom can be rigged has given me head the aches.

I can't think about it.

I'd go back to stock with the main's rope back in the slot of the boom and a stock block off the transom.
is that sun shade thingy in the way of doing this?

I can't imagine drilling and bolting through the stern pulpit pipe.

Craig.

Seadub

Craig, I believe he re-routed things because the stern pulpit was in the way, but clearing the bimini might have been in his mind as well. Seems to work for us, but I've not sailed the boat any other way. That's pretty beefy stainless tubing.

Bob23

It's different..it's unconventional. But no reason why it won't work. The "traveler" back on the stern rail would seem to be of no benefit so keeping it in the middle makes sense. And it sure would allow the bimini to be set further aft. Please replace those lines!!! Looking at 'em gives me the heebie jeebies!
Bob23

Seadub

Dang, guys! Between Craig's headache and Bob's heebie-jeebies...well, I was gonna say  I'm getting worried about even going out sailing...but now that I type it, I'm thinking...NEW BOAT NAME! Heebie Jeebie might just be a winner. Craig's Headache sounds too much like a grunge band name.

I've been concerned about lots of the unconventional mods the PO made, the engine well being the most significant. However, and Bob will appreciate this, she absolutely found us, and now she's our baby, flaws and all. I'm still a beginner, so I'm making  plenty of mistakes, but I'm learning as I go. Lessons like, "Don't drill holes in stainless steel tubing" and "Don't trust a POs odd-mods" may prove to be crucial. If so, I'll own it and hopefully be around to tell the tale.

About that fuzzed up, worn out main sheet... all new running rigging (color-coded 5/16 Samson XLS) was ordered today. The jury was still out on the funky mainsheet setup, so I hadn't replaced the worn-out sheet. After a few sails, I have no real complaints, so I decided to stick with it for now, and waited for the Defender Memorial Day sale to buy.

Apologies for hijacking this thread!

Seadub
Sailing on the good ship HeebieJeebie