Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Source for Rudder Nut with Handle?

Started by cruz-in, June 12, 2016, 02:48:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cruz-in

Hi All,

We have a 2000 Suncat. The previous owner had misplaced the nut with handle that is loosened/tightened to raise/lower the rudder. Do you any of you know a source for these or something similar? I assume I could call Hutchins and order one. Just wondering if anyone had any other sources.

Also has anyone ordered the rudder raising bar from Hutchins? Can this be done by the boat owner as an add-on?  Watched the video on their website and it sure seems like a better way than the thin rope I use now.

Thanks
Dan

blighhigh

you might be able to use a stainless steel thumbscrew

cruz-in

Wonder if I could get it tight enuff (and then be able to loosen) with a wing nut...

I guess I could use JB Weld and "weld" a nut onto a handle....

Eagleye

Hi cruz-in,
Take a look at the following link.  This handle is better than the stock piece of flat stock welded to a nut.  A bit pricey but if I lost the one on my Eclipse this is what I would buy.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#3577k6/=12trp8q
Good Luck,
Allen
"Madame Z"   2006 Eclipse    #42

cruz-in

Wow Eagleye! thanks tons for the link. That is exactly what I have been searching for.

Went ahead and ordered one. I will let all know how it works out.

Thanks Again
Dan

P.S. Gotta figure I would have paid the same (or more) to order one like I lost  from Hutchins.

BruceW

I stripped mine out on the Suncat I had. Got a regular stainless nut and epoxied it into a wrench that had an angle to it, so I could put my fingers around it. That turned out to be a really great solution for me.
Bruce Woods
Raleigh: WR 17
New Bern: CP 23

ghsfusioneer

Regarding a rudder hold-down bar, I highly recommend them.  Pushing the rudder down to the right position, inserting the pin, and locking the nut probably requires you to hang over the stern - and it all has to be done when already afloat (assuming you trailer the boat).  I made an inexpensive version for my SunCat using a piece of 1/2" PVC conduit and a couple of 3/8" bolts and nuts.  No new holes or permanent modifications are needed - you can always restore the lanyard if you wish.  Mine isn't as good as the commercial one made from SS, but it works, and the price was right.  I still have to tighten the rudder nut because the PVC is flexible and will bend under load - but that one task is easy. 

cruz-in

Just received the threaded handle in the link below. Looks great and worked like a charm...

http://www.mcmaster.com/#3577k6/=12trp8q

Next up is a variant of the rudder pole ...thanks for posting picts of yours. 

BruceW

I see that handle is stainless; mine had been bronze or something soft. I think this would be an improvement, esp if you don't overtighten and bend up the housing. The one I made out of a nut and a wrench was essentially a stainless steel replacement made out of stuff I already had. I'd have ordered this one if I had known about it. Very cool.
Bruce Woods
Raleigh: WR 17
New Bern: CP 23