Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

How Does Rudder Hold Down Bar work?

Started by cruz-in, September 30, 2016, 07:18:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cruz-in

Hi All,

So my rudder hold down bar has arrived from Compac. Instructions are pretty clear. Should be an easy install. However, I am puzzled at how it operates:

1) How will this respond when the rudder hits something (like grounding)? Does the bar kick-out from the hold down block at the tops of the rudder? If so, I am struggling to see how this happens. Seems like it will stay put and continue to hold the rudder down.

2) When you raise the rudder, how do you secure it in the top position?

3)Do you replace the lever nut on the rudder with a stop nut and only slightly tighten so the rudder is free to move up/down.

4) Does this completely eliminate the need for leaning  over the transom to loosen/tighten the rudder nut.

Thanks for your insight,
Dan

Peter Dubé

Hi Dan,

I have the same questions.  I am interested in the hold down bar, but wonder how it responds to groundings.  I sail in very shallow water and frequently touch bottom with the rudder.

Hope to get some responses to your questions from owners that have the hold down bar installed.

Peter
Compac Sun Cat
s/v Sun Daze
Vero Beach  FL

ghsfusioneer

I made my own rudder hold-down bar from 1/2" PVC.  I posted pictures in June 2016 in another thread: "source for rudder nut with handle".  I have a wooden block attached at the tiller pivot bolt, and the rudder hold-down bar has a cross-pin that locks under that block when the rudder is down.  The existing lanyard secures the hold-down bar in the block.  I haven't run aground and tested it, but should that happen, the PVC will just bend or spring away from the wooden block.  Should the PVC be destroyed, a new bar is easily fabbed.   Perhaps the stainless steel hold-down bars will likewise allow the rudder to kick up under grounding conditions...

hoddinr

"So my rudder hold down bar has arrived from Compac. Instructions are pretty clear. Should be an easy install. However, I am puzzled at how it operates:
1) How will this respond when the rudder hits something (like grounding)? Does the bar kick-out from the hold down block at the tops of the rudder? If so, I am struggling to see how this happens. Seems like it will stay put and continue to hold the rudder down.

2) When you raise the rudder, how do you secure it in the top position?

3)Do you replace the lever nut on the rudder with a stop nut and only slightly tighten so the rudder is free to move up/down.

4) Does this completely eliminate the need for leaning  over the transom to loosen/tighten the rudder nut.

Thanks for your insight,
Dan"

You'll notice the two welded on tabs on the rudder hold down bar, Dan.  The top one goes under the nylon/plastic tab that is mounted on the top of the rudder stock when the rudder is in the down position.  The other one, further down the rod is for holding the rudder in the up position. The tab goes on TOP of the nylon/plastic tab in this position.  It doesn't hold it all the way up, but up enough.

When you hit something with the rudder, reach back and release the rod and pull it to the up position, or let it drag along the bottom if you like depending on the bottom.  When back in deeper water you can reset the rod in the fully down position.

I leave a little tension on the rudder nut but not enough to keep me from easily moving the rudder up and down with the rod.  I also have a loop of line encircling the rod to keep from losing it behind the rudder.

I grounded on a sand bar last weekend and the rudder did NOT pop up but bumped along until I could get back to release it.  This bent the rod a bit so that it wouldn't go into the fully down - a little bit forward of vertical position.  When I got home, I was able to straighten the rod and that did the trick.  Wasn't hard to do.

Hope this helps. 
Ron

cruz-in

Thanks Ron,

That is just the answer I was looking for.

Dan

cruz-in

Seems to be having the top of the rudder hold down bracket in some sort of spring clamp (that would release under pressure) would work.

Maybe the logic is the rudder hold down bar will bend vice transfer the impact of grounding to the transom.

Peter Dubé

I'm starting to think that the hold down bar is not for someone, like me, who frequently goes agound. I sail in very shallow waters with soft sand bottom. The Sun Cat is perfect for this kind of sailing.  The board is half way down, so the rudder touches first.

I WANT the rudder to come up when I touch bottom. I certainly don't want to be bending an expensive hold down bar.

I think I will be continuing to use the friction nut. It's simple, it works and it saves me over $100!

Peter
Compac Sun Cat
s/v Sun Daze
Vero Beach  FL