a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Radar on CP27

Started by Tney88, April 12, 2016, 02:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tney88

So you all know if you go to Los Vegas, you have a chance, albeit slight, of getting some money back.  I'm here to tell you that sailboat shows don't work that way....the money thing is strictly a one-way deal!  We went down to the Strictly Sail Pacific show in Richmond CA last week, and wound up buying a new toy for Paradiso....radar!  We sail in the San Juan and Gulf Islands where fog is an issue, which is how the admiral and I justified it to ourselves.  So, my question:  has anybody installed radar on a CP-27?  I bought the new Raymarine wireless radar that only needs a power cable to the radar dome.  I'm debating between mast installation and a stern pole installation, and would love to find someone who has done either.

Pros and cons that I see of both:  mast installation pros include higher placement giving increased range, probably nicer looking installation, and cheaper, while the cons include risk of the radar dome getting damaged by the genoa coming across during tacks, damage to the dome during mast raising or lowering, and the pain of running another pair of wires back to the mast base and up the mast.  Stern pole installation pros include easier installation especially the wiring, and less risk of damage especially during launching, but the cons include higher cost for the mount, lower height resulting in poorer performance, and possibly an ugly look from having a dome sitting on a SS pole at the stern.

Thoughts?

Terry Ney
CP 27 "Paradiso"
Veneta, OR

Terry Ney
CP 27 "SV Paradiso"
Veneta, OR

Awfeith

Did you also buy Davits? I was thinking of getting the Garmin plug and play radar for my GPS740s. But down here on the Gulf we really have good visibility, and no fog to speak of. But still, it's a nice toy to have.

André

Tney88

No, I talked to the Garhauer folks about the davits, and we had to choose one or the other....the radar won out as it's a safety thing, and the davits are a convenience thing.  Maybe next year....

Terry
Terry Ney
CP 27 "SV Paradiso"
Veneta, OR

Betterdays

I have a radar dome on my 1991 cp 27.  No radar however, that went with a previous owner. I have 135 genoa and it never gets hung upon the mast mounted dome during a tack or gype.  Cant help on othe questions.

Stephen
Betterdays

Tney88

Stephen, thanks for the reply.  Question, do you raise and lower the mast for trailering often, or does your boat stay in the water all the time.  The reason I ask as that it seems that raising/lowering the mast with the radar dome in place seems like a recipe for expensive damages.  Our mast goes up and down at least twice a season.

Terry Ney
"Paradiso"
Veneta, OR
Terry Ney
CP 27 "SV Paradiso"
Veneta, OR

Betterdays

Quote from: Tney88 on April 19, 2016, 12:08:26 PM
Stephen, thanks for the reply.  Question, do you raise and lower the mast for trailering often, or does your boat stay in the water all the time.  The reason I ask as that it seems that raising/lowering the mast with the radar dome in place seems like a recipe for expensive damages.  Our mast goes up and down at least twice a season.

Terry Ney
"Paradiso"
Veneta, OR

[/quote
No  stays up all the time, boat comes out of water for winter.  went up the mast once, never again, but the housing on dome seems pretty stout, as long you aren't literally dropping the mast, you should be ok.