a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Experienced sailor needed. Clearwater, FL 21 March

Started by Sail4Fun, March 18, 2016, 05:38:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sail4Fun

I'm picking up my Sun Cat from Hutchin's following some repairs.  I'd like to test sail her before heading back to SC but I'm unfamiliar with the bays near Clearwater, FL.  I'm looking for someone to sail with me for an hour or two.  If you're interested please contact me.  I'll buy lunch and/or dinner!

Rick
864-608-7716 cell or text.

Tom L.

Rick, Sorry I can't be there to help you but I can tell you that Lake Tarpon is near by. There is a park with a very good ramp complete with docks and it is in a very well protected cove. The lake itself is small but good enough to test stuff out. Charts are not really needed.

Seminole boat ramp is just south of Duneden on Clearwater bay. It's also a good ramp with docks unless the wind is strong out of the South. The ICW runs right by the ramp. The channel is narrow and can be rough from other big boats and strong winds. You should get a chart or print a page or two from chartlet books.

Tom L.

Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

HideAway

My vote would be for Lake Tarpon for testing the boat.  The northern boat ramp is on a small bay.  The lake itself is pretty good size, plenty of room to sail.  There is a nice restruant with docks on the west side.  Anderson park is just off US 19 on the east side before you get to Tarpon Springs.  It's a really nice park that you'll want to spend some time in.  here's the link     http://www.pinellascounty.org/park/01_Anderson.htm
SV HideAway Compac 23 Hull #2
Largo, Florida
http://www.youtube.com/SVHideAway
http://svhideaway.blogspot.com/

Sail4Fun

Thank you for the suggestion.  I appreciate it. 

Sail4Fun

Winds were gusting to 27 when I picked up the boat so I abandoned the test sail.  I stopped at Lake Hartwell on the way home and sailed her.  Hutchins did a great job replacing the checkerboard vault, repainting the bottom and applying new strips.  They repaired the gaff boom end and put keepers on all the mast and forestay.  I even have a new long pin just because.  All the work was done quickly and professionally.  I was the holdup picking it up, finding the time to go get it.  The price was extremely reasonable.  If your Sun Cat is taking on water, this is the way to go!  I could not be happier.  Thank you to all the great people at Hutchins that helped me.

Tom L.

OK...I give whats the checkerboard vault?

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

archimedes

I didn't know Hutchins did repair work on Com-Pac boats.  Is that the case, or was your situation special?

Sail4Fun

Auto spell check.

Centerboard Vault!

Apparently they do Centerboard Vaults because they happily removed my stainless steel one and installed a fiberglass one. Corrosion had eaten away bolts and large enough sections that the boat would take on about 1/3 gallon of water or more an hour.  $1600. Money well spent.