a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

New auto pilot

Started by Awfeith, March 16, 2016, 07:31:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Awfeith

New auto pilot EVO-100 installed. Need to get interface cable as Raymarine uses seatalk, and Garmin uses nema 2000.

Patrick

Very nice. I put in a 7600 series last month and have it with the autopilot. I didn't buy the interface cable but made it. It works great!  Here's how I did it.

The Raymarine and Garmin networks are both NMEA2000 compatible. They both use different connectors. It's really dumb I think but that's what they did.  Raymarine does have some extra commands but for their equipment.  There aren't fact Roy conversion cables that I know of but other powered devices that convert to NMEA 183 and back. It's a terrible and expensive solution.

But, Since they are both NMEA2K, they both have the same 4 wires. I purchased a short 2foot Raymarine cable and a Garmin field termination kit. I cut the cable and out on the Garmin end. Then I connected the one bus to the other and voila, data sharing. It works like a champ and we have sailed now 400NM without issues.

This does mean you can eliminate one of the battery connections as you don't need to power both busses and then join them.

Let me know I if you want part numbers or something.
CP 27/2 - #169 - Sagacity - Peoria Heights, IL

deisher6

Hey pgudat:
Great size navigation display and mounting for both nav and controller units.  Well done.
regards charlie