a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

True confession time

Started by alsantini, March 05, 2016, 03:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsantini

I have stepped the mast and obviously un-stepped the mast probably close to 40 times over the 2 years that I have owned Odd the Wind.  I can honestly say that I have been totally impressed with the system.  Yesterday, I was out sailing with a friend in 18+mph winds.  We had a great time on the Gulf but by the time we got back to the ramp I think my brain was scrambled.  Not done over easy, like usual, scrambled....  As I set up the gin pole and pulley system, I did not tighten the jib halyard line to the gin pole to make the pole square to the mast.  This caused the majority of the weight of the mast to be on the pole.  As I lowered the mast both the pole and the peg on the mast bent. I am thankful that it did not snap off and cause the mast to fall.  When it was down I looked at it and said duh, dude, what were you thinking?  Anyway, the Gin pole is easily straightened but the peg had a crack in the weld and was at a 20 degree angle.  Not a good angle to raise and lower the mast since the forces would not be straight into the mast.  I called Com Pac and was surprised to have them say that if I bought a new upper hinge assembly the holes would not line up since they were "probably" drilled.  They suggested either I buy both the upper and lower assembly re-drilling all holes or they would re-weld the peg to the upper hinge.  With this in mind, I am having the peg re-welded on Monday and I will straighten the Gin pole.  Kinda like the measure twice, cut once philosophy.  All of this could have been avoided had I stepped back from that line and looked at the set-up.  It would have been easy to see.  Now I am off of the water for at least 3 days.  As they say haste makes waste.  Figured everyone can learn from my mistake.  Sail on....   Al

Aldebaran_III

I had a similar brain scrambling with the mast hinge on my HC. We had a very short notice hurricane warning. In my rush to get everything strapped down tight with the boat safely on it's trailer, I forgot to tie the mast to the gallows and the aft cleats.
After the storm, the mast was hanging over the side of the boat. The only damage was a twisted mast hinge. I called Hutchins and they told me that a new hinge would mean re-drilling both mast sections because it was unlikely that the holes would line up. They suggested I send it to them, which I did.
It came back very quickly looking like new. I think they probably straightened it on the jig they use for making them. I definitely got lucky with that mistake, I need to start making check lists!

It's great to have a boat from a company that stands behind them with such good service.

Derek

Vectordirector

Bummer Al.  At least it isn't something expensive and you will have minimal downtime.  That is a lot of wind for the Eclipse, I would be wiped out after that and lucky to be able to get the boat on the trailer let alone get the mast down.  Stuff happens. Usually at the wrong time. 

I assume you were reefed.  How much head sail did you have out?

One of the reasons I bought the Eclipse is being on this forum and seeing the raves about customer support while I was looking for a boat that would work for me.  It is wonderful knowing that Matt is available to source just about anything unique to the boat that breaks or wears out.  Top Notch! 

Vectordirector
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

captronr

Al, I just about did the same thing returning from the lake the first time.  Rigged the jin pole, started to lower the mast, then realized I had NOT secured the jib halyard.   Could have been a big ouch.

Glad your's came out ok.

Ron
"When the world ends, I want to be in KANSAS, because its 20 years behind the times."  Plagarized from Mark Twain

alsantini

I have removed the assembly from the mast and will get it welded tomorrow AM.  Hopefully it will all be back together tomorrow.  When I removed it I could see that the holes were not symmetrical, so I believe that someone with a cordless drill and a 3/8 bit, drills the eight holes and puts the bolts in.  I am not sure I agree with that from a replacement point of view but it is what it is.  Moral of the story is, if I pay attention to what I am doing, I should never have this "opportunity" again.

In the 18+ mph sailing, I had a little bit of the Genoa (probably 24%) furled and was running a full main.  We were on the edge and when faced with reef or go home, we choose home.  We had been out for 4 1/2 hours already.

Not sure I mentioned this earlier but my wife was behind the trailer/boat as I left the campground.  She called and said you have no lights.  hmmm  So, I figured especially since we can be called home at any time, I should fix them - probably just a bulb.  Turns out I had two left assemblies on the trailer, and so that the red clearance light would not shine on the boat, someone cut the wire up at the base of the bulb socket.  Need one right assembly.  Turned my attention to the left side which was very dim.  When I opened it up, the light capsule was installed upside down with the drain hole facing up.  It was half filled with salt water.  Need one left assembly.  Oh hell, might as well replace the amber side clearance lights on the front of the trailer.  Geeze  Anyway one trip to O'Reilly's auto parts and we are good to go.

Almost ready to sail on again....      Al

alsantini

Peg is welded back to the hinge - looks good again....