a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

# 59 reporting in!

Started by GeorgeH, February 29, 2016, 05:23:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeorgeH

First off, we better offer our apologies to folks up north that haven't started a sailing season yet.  Did you hear what the groundhog said?

As Florida snowbirds, we have "another" sailing season.  That's what this note is about.  Eclipse # 59 finally got in the water Jan 28 at a local marina in Micco, FL.  It's the smallest boat in the place.  Many of those huge sport fishermen (I think they are called), a few larger sailboats, and us.  It has gotten out on the Indian River Lagoon (IRL) seven times since then. 

A bit about the IRL:  It's a 150 mile estuary along Florida's east coast, mostly a shallow, narrow, waterway.  Many, many, snowbird boaters with large vessels use it to get further south, like the keys and other places.  They don't usually have good stories about the transit.  But, we have found this skinny water to be a great place to sail for shallow draft boats.  Go Eclipse!

When the wind is close to north or south, the trip is usually sail one way, motor home.  But with all other wind directions, we have a blast cruising up and down just outside the ICW.  No long trips yet, but we are spoiled to just travel the few miles to the boat, and quickly be underway north(ish) or south(ish). 

After a half dozen trips with just the Admiral and Captain as crew, we took non-boating friends out yesterday afternoon, and the IRL did not disappoint.  Lots of birds, dolphins, and all the neat vessels in transit.  The four of us were very comfy. 

Of course several "problems/projects" have shown up.  The grommet in the mainsail to attach to reef hook is too small for the hook, and reefing line does not go through boom as it is supposed to.  Have seen some improvements to that system here, which will take place at the end of the "sailing season"  Good jury rig has evolved until then.   

Looking forward to first overnight cruise and will return with report.  I think Al recently wanted to know if any other Eclipses are sailing, and we answer with a happy yes!  Pat and George
Eclipse #59
Lake Cayuga NY

Bob23

Hi George and thanks for the report from down south. Up here in NJ, I'm still hoping for more snow before winter's end. Great report...enjoy the new boat and welcome!
Bob23

alsantini

Hi guys.  Glad the boat is getting wet.  I was out sailing yesterday and paid attention to the reefing hook and sail reef cringle.  On #49 the hole in the cringle is just shy of 3/4 inch and the reef hook is around a quarter of an inch.  I have reefed many times and have found that when the sail is under pressure it is difficult to get the two lined up.  Have you tried to set a reef when there is no wind?  Is the angle of the hook the issue?  If in fact the cringle is too small then obviously you need a sail maker's help.  I wonder if the reef hook is bent making it difficult to line up.  Putting the mast up and down could have caused it to bend if it were caught somehow.  Really interesting if Doyle supplied a sail with a cringle too small??  One other thought.  The Eclipse is normally not supplied with a Cunningham since there is a downhaul on the boom.  A Cunningham cringle is generally smaller than a reef cringle.  Did the PO add a Cunningham?  Is yes you will have two cringles.  The higher one up the sail will be the reef point and the lower one will be the Cunningham.  Good luck - Let us know the results.  Today I am bringing a small ruler to the boat and will measure both the cringle and the hook.  I will also take a pic of the arrangement and send it to you for reference.  Sail on...   Al

captronr

Hi Al,

Can you post those pics here as well please (even if it's much later). 

As a new Eclipse owner, there is MUCH I don't know/understand about this boat's rigging.  Maybe it will become more obvious as I have a chance to get everything up again. 

When we get our boat to the sail club, I'm hoping smarter folks there will be able to offer advice, but I don't think there are any Compac boats in our club; certainly not Eclipses.  I know, I know, shoulda brought the boat to FL so you could show me..................................

Thanks.
"When the world ends, I want to be in KANSAS, because its 20 years behind the times."  Plagarized from Mark Twain