a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Universal M12 questions

Started by CurtTampa, May 22, 2016, 10:03:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CurtTampa

Im trying to sort through an engine shutdow issue that happens about 8 minutes after starting. First question is what position is the ignition key in when engine is running? I have heard conflicted answers. My engine will run in either but currently it sounds an intermittent alarm/red light periodically.  I read that is to remind you ghe key was left in the in position. That sounds goofy to me. I think its an oil pressure or temp alarm that requires the key to be in the on position. Mine sounds at start up but goes off after engine starts. It comes back on periodically during the 8 minute period. Initially I though this was fuel releated but after replacing fjlters, cleaning tank, new fuel pump etc... Im wonderig if its not pressure or oil temp? 

deisher6

Hey Curt:
Windrunner is an '86 with original instrument panel: counter clock wise is off....the fuel pump will not be running:  clockwise is on...the fuel pump will be running.  The oil pressure warning buzzer should be buzzing when the key is turned clockwise, on.  However, Windrunner's oil warning buzzer only works intermittently.

The engine will run with the ignition off until it runs out of fuel.  You probably know that is why you shut the engine off with the T-handle first then the key. If you use the key to turn off the engine you may have to bleed the fuel system. 

My manual is on the boat right now.  I think that the buzzer is both a temp/oil pressure light.  Am going out in hour or so and will read up on it tonight.  Will check back when I return to see how you are doing.

I have a very intermittent short in the instrument panel, the tach and gauges do not register at times especially at low rpm.  I have been tempted to fabricate a new panel out of Starboard.  Wes has tried to find a NOS panel without any luck.  One of the things stopping me, as Wes also pointed out is the cost of a tach. It is also working as is, so far.

Post what and how you solve the problem.

regards charlie

deisher6

Hey Curt:
The buzzer light on the instrument panel is for both temp and oil.....at least that is what it says on Windrunner's panel.

Have you got it worked out?

regards charlie

relamb

My '88 CP27 also has an intermittent connection in the instrument panel, I lose the backlight and tach only.  Haven't had a chance to investigate.
The buzzer definitely goes off on overtemp, I've lost two water pump impellers, at least one by sucking a plastic bag up over the water intake thru-hull.
Rick
CP16 CP23 CP27
Zionsville, IN