a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Another new Eclipse owner

Started by alsantini, December 27, 2015, 08:50:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsantini

George and Pat just purchased #59 in St Petersburg Florida.  they will pull it across Florida to the East coast this week.  George had it surveyed and it came through with flying colors.  I will try to get him on this board, and know all will welcome them.  They are excited about the boat - funny how that happens....  Have a great New Year filled with sailing a great boat.  Leaving for Florida on Tuesday with Off The Wind in tow.  Yippee..

Vectordirector

Great news!  The more I sail mine, the more I like it.  It really is a perfect boat for me.  Don't know if you saw it, there is a 2015 loaded Eclipse for sale in the Isles, guy bought it just before I arrived last year and I've only seen it out once.  Asking $25K, a pretty good deal if you know someone with interest in one.  It is on a lift in the Bird Section.  Link:  http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2015-Com-Pac-Eclipse-SL-676113

Last week was great, got out 3 times, including Monday with my ex and daughter.  Heading out on the Cape Dory 22 this afternoon, it is forecast to be perfect sailing, again.  This coming week is forecast to be the same as last, with mid 80's and 10-15 kts of wind all week. If you hurry you can beat the cold front that is supposed to arrive Saturday.  Let me know when you get situated and are able to sail. 

Safe travels, see ya soon,

Vectordirector
aka Bryan
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

GeorgeH

Hey, That's us, George and Pat, good time to say something!
We have become in charge of the care and feeding of Eclipse #59.  It has been well used in the Tampa FL area, put on the market by a broker in St. Petersburg. We looked at it once, fretted over cosmetic issues, had it surveyed, and bought it.  We have been PA snowbirds in a Sebastian FL RV park for 12 years.  We have sailed our Potter 15 on the Indian River Lagoon for 3 years, wanted to bit bigger trailer sailor to cruise the lagoon a bit more, Eclipse a perfect match.  Potter 15 for sale (had to get that little commercial in, hope no one offended).  We will probably not get the Eclipse to this side of the state until Jan 4.  Needs new tires for a confident tow across the state.   And, most importantly, I have to directly thank Al Santini for his help with numerous e-mails.  Started calling him my Eclipse Coach.  And of course all the others in this forum with information that helped the process along.  I'll try not to be so long winded next time, but new to forum postings.  I'll start out with only one question of many to probably others to follow:  Anybody ever have a flat tire towing the Eclipse?  A bit concerned that those small diameter tires might let the center of trailer drag on pavement when deflated.  Thanks to all for all the informative posts, P&G
Eclipse #59
Lake Cayuga NY

captronr

Welcome George and Pat, 

We're old hands now (grin)--got our 2012 Eclipse in Nov.  Al was a saint in helping answer questions and even drove up and helped us check things out on the boat. 

Our boat has the small tires.  We towed it home (750 miles) with a GMC 1500, and it towed great.  Doubt that the frame would hit the pavement, but don't have the boat here to check.  Plus wind chill is like 14* now, so I wouldn't go outside even if it was here.

Sure would like to get ours to FL in a couple of months, but looking doubtful at this point.  If we come, might be an Eclipse Convention!

Ron and Chari

"When the world ends, I want to be in KANSAS, because its 20 years behind the times."  Plagarized from Mark Twain

GeorgeH

Eclipse #59 is here!  Thanks for the notes of encouragement.  Uneventful trip from Gulf coast of FL to Atlantic coast of FL, the way we like trips.  Lots of boat projects going on, some needed, some personal preference.  Our FL snowbird "perch" is a small place, and now even smaller filled with boat stuff all while a good cleanup takes place on #59.  Most "parts" have arrived with a couple of exceptions:  New Honda 5 long shaft arrived without fuel tank, and a replacement port shroud from Com Pac still in on the way.  But the best news is we were able to driveway (ok, empty campsite) set up entire rig and take it down with no injuries to rig and crew.  Not quite the 20 minutes, but still completed successfully.  Thanks again for coach Al's direction sheet.

But there's a question:  We have to wait for that port shroud to sail, but we can get in the boat slip at the marina sooner.  Should we wait for port shroud?  How much different is  putting up the rig in the water than on the trailer?  There's the obvious risks of a sinking essential part (or crew), but do any of you have experience with in the water rigging?
P&G
Eclipse #59
Lake Cayuga NY

alsantini

Last Spring I arrived at my launch marina on the Chain of Lakes and found that the High School Athletic Association was having a fishing contest.  The ramp was a zoo so I decided to launch without stepping the mast, motor over the 1/2 mile to my slip and step the mast.  It was a windless day and it did take me a bit more time to step but it really was not that difficult.  In the Fall, I reversed the process, un-stepping in the slip and motoring over.  On a scale I would say that stepping and un-stepping the mast is probably about 25% more time consuming but certainly very doable.  Go for it.  Why are you replacing the shroud?

GeorgeH

During pre-purchase survey, port shroud was discovered to have 2 broken strands.  No worry about practce rigging, just sailing.  New one ordered from Com Pac  Dec 28 but could be delayed due to holiday break.  Usual winter weather for mid east coast of Florida is yet to arrive delaying some boat projects anyway. 
Eclipse #59
Lake Cayuga NY

Eagleye

Quote from: GeorgeH on January 10, 2016, 08:48:18 AM
But there's a question:    How much different is  putting up the rig in the water than on the trailer?  There's the obvious risks of a sinking essential part (or crew), but do any of you have experience with in the water rigging?
P&G

Hi George,
As Al has mentioned, stepping the mast on the water is not a problem with the Eclipse. It just takes a bit more care that you don't drop something (like the gin pole) in the drink. I have had several chances to  step the mast on the water but practice on the hard a few times first.  The following link is a recount of a sail requiring to do just that in my first year sailing.

http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=5836.0

Enjoy and good luck,
Allen
"Madame Z"   2006 Eclipse    #42

alsantini

Allen.  Did not realize that our boats are almost from the same litter.  I am #49 and a 2007.  That is a great sailing story.  9.4 mph on a 21 foot boat - wow.  I have yet to experience that on my Eclipse but will hope.  I did get her up to 7.8 mph last summer just prior to a storm.  Do you still own Madam?

Mldun

Hi I am Mike (mldun) and I just purchased a 2015 Eclipse, Hull number 74. I purchased it from and very kind elder gentleman in Punta Gorda who's ambitions were greater than his capabilities at this point in life, he purchased it new last year. I live in Amelia Island, Florida  (Fernandina Beach) which is in the North East corner of the state.

I didn't start sailing until about 18 years ago and just can't get it out of my system when I don't have access to a boat. I have owned a Macgregor 26 and a Com-Pac Sun Day Cat and each had some features I liked. I also was a member on a Hunter 36 at Sailtime in St. Augustine for a year. I could charter some larger boats where we live but I just really wanted a truly trailerable boat that was about as easy to set up and launch as you could reasonably expect. I researched quite a bit and I feel that the Eclipse will fit the bill (I hope). I just picked her up last week and have been going through learning about everything and cleaning up. I have launched on the new trailer I had to purchase to bring her home and lowered the mast pretty much on my own without any problems. I did study the manual a good bit before attempting, but it was not that complicated. My next step is to driveway sail her a little to get the feel for the sails then go sailing the first nice weather that comes along.

A few things I am wondering about:
My gin pole has a metal loop on it instead of the double knot on a plastic tip as shown in the new manual I read. I just clipped the jib halyard to it on one side and the pulley system to the other and it worked well.
The gentleman told me that if you use the rudder while motoring that it can touch and looking at the rudder, I think it may have happened gently one time. Do you normally not run the engine with the rudder down?
It looks like the long pin goes through the mast when laying down to hold in place, but mine only has one long pin which seem like it should be left to hold down the boom and sails while traveling. I guess I can get another long pin,

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself. I look forward to learning from you all and hope to contribute when I can.

Mike K

Hi Mike!

Congratulations on the new boat!  I was looking at that same boat on the internet.  I had asked the previous owner some questions about his boat for sale on E-mail, and now I know why I didn't get any answers!  I was thinking about taking a look at it when I was down in Florida in March, but now I guess I will just have to sail my little CP Legacy on Charlotte Harbor instead when I go down to FL.

Anyway, sorry I can't answer your specific questions on the Eclipse, as I don't own one.  However, if you don't get any answers you may want to start a new discussion topic instead of tacking on to an older discussion.  You may get more views that way. 

Anyway, have a wonderful time on the Eclipse!  After a few sails, keep us informed how you like it, good and bad, as I, for one, am very interested in the boat!
Good Luck,
Mike K.
Mike K.  2015 Eclipse  Previously owned Com-Pac Legacy, Precision 21, MacGregor 21 Seaward 25

Mldun

Thanks Mike,
I initially contacted him by email with no response and followed with a phone call. He had some vision problems and didn't use the Internet. His daughter posted the ad for him.
I will definitely share my thoughts after sailing, I am anxious to do so.

Mike

captronr

Welcome Mike.  I also just purchased a '12 Eclipse and am selling my Mac 26X.  Love the Mac, but wanting something smaller and faster to rig.  Can't wait for warmer weather here to launch it!

I find the owner's manual pretty sparse on rigging, etc.  Haven't raised the mast on mine yet, but hope its pretty intuitive. 

Lot of good info on here, and I'm sure other more knowledgeable owners will jump in soon.

Ron
"When the world ends, I want to be in KANSAS, because its 20 years behind the times."  Plagarized from Mark Twain

alsantini

Welcome aboard Mike.  You will love this boat!  The long pin serves two purposes.  One, it locks the mast to the mast stub for travels by going through the U shaped bracket and the mast.  Second it holds up (not down) the boom for sailing.  Gravity holds the boom and sails down for short travels.  You should also have a curved pin that locks the mast in an upright position while you attach the forestay.  I usually keep it in place as extra insurance during sailing.  The curved pin also keeps the U shaped device (mast crutch) in place for travel.  One additional hint.  Keep the hinge pins always connected to the mast stub.  My PO traveled once with one dangling around and lost it on the road somewhere.  I have for insurance one extra hinge pin and one long pin.  The J pole is all metal with the loop on the top and is used like you have already figured out.  Now all we need is decent weather.
Al

alsantini

Forgot to answer your rudder/motor question.  I always use the rudder when motoring.  If you turn all the way, it will hit the rudder, but only if you turn full.  When I am docking I sometimes will turn the motor and the rudder in the same direction.  Like your rudder, mine has a slight scar where the PO hit it but only once, I think.  When I sail I have the motor up almost horizontal most of the time.  I am using a 4 hp 4 stroke Nissan long shaft (for reference)    Al