a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Luff length on a 135% jib/Genoa

Started by Neil Holck, February 29, 2016, 07:56:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil Holck

Does anyone know the luff length on a 135% jib/genoa as it came out of the factory for a 1997 ComPac 27/2?
Mine seems too long.  When the traveler is at the topmost point,  the tack
is touching the furling drum.
I have no way of tightening the luff. It can't be attached to the cleat on the drum, either.
I'm taking it to a rigger tomorrow and thinking of taking part of the sail off to shorten it.
Any comments?

deisher6

Hey Gunslinger:
I have two stock jibs and one custom cut down jib on our C-27.

I think that the large one is a 155, again it is about time that I measure them.  It was originally roller furling.  When it is set the turning block on the track is behind the winch almost as far aft as it can go.

The other stock sail is a 120, the stock jib that all C-27'scame with.  When it is set the turning block is aft of the first stanchion and the back of the coach top.

The small jib is about a 90 and the turning block is all the way forward.  I may install a separate deck mounted block in the future.

The block positions on the track vary some according to the wind.

I hope that this helps some.

regards charlie

Awfeith

My factory supplied 135% Genny, made by JSI, is 30 ft. Fore stay length is 33 ft. Mine is a 1997 27-3

Neil Holck

Thanks guys,
The problem is the foil length, or positioning of the foil on the forestay, I guess.  The forestay is "normal" length, but, perhaps the foil isn't positioned high enough on the forestay.  (I've never put a foil on a forestay, so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about).
This leaves the luff of the jib too low and too close to the winding drum. There is nowhere, (still on the rotating area,) to tie the tensioning line.  Oh well, maybe it's not the sail that came with it out of the factory and a previous owner bought a replacement that was too long in the luff.
Any other good advise will be considered and appreciated.