a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

water tank/lines on the 27's

Started by frank, April 06, 2015, 08:51:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frank

I know there have been some tank cover (lid) issues...albeit after many years use. I have seen what clear waterline hoses look like with water left in them over summer without use as well. The inside looks like a science project.

Others may well have a better system, but here is how I laid up Allure's tank/lines

http://sailfar.net/forum/index.php?topic=4484.0      (too easy posting pics there...toooooo hard here)

I think it will extend tank lid life as well.
Small boats: God's gift to young boys and older men

Tim Gardner

Frank,

I took the liberty of adding one of your pics in your post.

I clicked on your link to your sailfar post, right clicked on the pic, right clicked on copy image location, came back here to your post, Clicked on the insert image icon, and hit Ctrl V.  Hit save and Voila your picture is posted.  About 30 seconds.  

Not too hard!

However I must take issue with your leaving the tank open.  Microbes (including mold spores) are in the air around us in a startling amount.  Your disinfection method is good for the lines, but if the tank is not completely filled, the unwet surfaces may well grow mold.  I would suggest a packet of Star Brite Nosgard ClO2. http://www.wholesalemarine.com/starbrite-nosguard-sg-mold-mildew-odor-control-slow-release-system-79451.html?gclid=CKSTo_HK5MQCFVFp7Aodxl4AYA

Do your method then put the Clo@ generator in your tank, & Close her up!

BTW, one of thes in your bilge works wonders as well for LT storage protection from mold & Mildew.

JM2Cs

TG

TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

frank

You are probably right!

I figured that wiped with bleach and "open" to dry would leave it, well....clean and dry.

Others have posted about replacing the tank top "lids" after many years....I figured this would save the top as well.

I store the fuel tank full with stabilizer knowing that condensation can lead to algae in diesel fuel.

Well...I may well have did a no no  :-)   But...back enroute home now so no turning back. I'll report next December on the outcome.

frank

follow up:

I had Gerry put a 10 inch access plate to make it easier to wipe out the inside. As I had posted last spring, I ran water/bleach through the lines until dry to dissenfect them, wiped out the tank, left the cover off but taped a screen over it to allow air but keep out bugs.
It sat through the Abacos heat for 9mths before I got back a few days ago.
The tank was "as I left it" inside.....no mold.
My thinking was simple....no water sitting that long (algea) and no humidity to eventually weaken the plywood "lid"
Seems to have worked

deisher6

Hey Frank:
Good plan...I do pretty much the same thing between uses of the water system.  I had to replace the tank top because of the delimitation the plywood.  Used starboard.  There is a thread on the project in the C-27 section.

Water tank inspection port
« on: September 12, 2013, 07:26:59 PM »

When we lived in MT, had a slide in camper with a very simple pressure water system (tank, pump, sink, drain tap).  We used real cheap vodka to winter proof it several years.  It worked well and it is more appealing to drink than the pink stuff. Come to think of it the system stayed pretty fresh.  Although it would take several gallons of vodka to flush the system on a C-27, it is an interesting thought.

regards charlie