Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Wavefront Tiller Clutch questions

Started by captronr, January 14, 2016, 08:13:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

captronr

Hi all,

Thinking of buying a Wavefront Tiller tamer and have some questions please.

Installation and use seems straightforward.  How do you attach the control line to the boat?  I would think it would need to be located so that if you stood and raised the tiller, the control line would still function without adjustment.  

I could see using a snap shackle on one end of the control line, but would you need a cam cleat to easily control the opposite end?

Assume you would need to remove the control line in order to operate the motor docking, etc?

Thanks.
Ron
"When the world ends, I want to be in KANSAS, because its 20 years behind the times."  Plagarized from Mark Twain

marc

I tie off the control line to the existing aft cleats on my Compac 19. These are horn cleats located near the aft corners of the transom. One end of the control line is tied thru the base of the starboard cleat. The other end of the line I tie off with a cleat hitch to the port cleat. To lift the tiller I release the cleat hitch end of the control line.
Marc

Tim Gardner

I use a soft shackle (basically a thin small loop though the cleat) with a clove hitch Cajun tiller tamer.
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

alsantini

Hi Ron.  Figured that I would tell you what I use, not that everyone needs the same stuff.  I have sailed on a boat with the tiller clutch and it is functional and I liked it.  On the Eclipse, I have installed a lock box and use a Forespar Twist Lock Tiller Extension.  I use it mostly to get the sail up when single handed with the extension in the lock box.   I use the extension when I am loafing along leaning back....  I wonder what other Eclipse owners use?

waterwheels

I'm considering going all out for a Raymarine ST1000 tiller pilot. I think there are some Eclipse owners using them. Would love to hear from you. (Quickly the sale runs out next week)

Thanks Don

waterwheels

I'm considering going all out for a Raymarine ST1000 tiller pilot. I think there are some Eclipse owners using them. Would love to hear from you. (Quickly the sale runs out next week)

Thanks Don

alsantini

I know Vector has one but do not know which one.  Maybe he will chime in. 

frank

The 1000 is fine for a smaller boat (3000lbs n less)

Sure changes single handing!!!  Everything from setting sail to making a tea to long runs under power on windless days...

When sailing with one....balance your sails 1st!!!   Far easier on the unit....far less drain on battery

They are great for cruising!
Small boats: God's gift to young boys and older men

Vectordirector

Hi guys,

My boat came with one of the small tillerpilots, I believe it is a Simrad, TP10 or TP-100, something like that, I think it is about 10 years old and probably has been "improved" since then.  I have used it a few times and it works well.  Great for keeping the boat headed into the wind while raising the main or any time you need to let go of the tiller for more than a few seconds.

I added a telescoping 48" Forespar tiller extension and it also works well.  It works so well that I rarely use the tillerpilot these days.  I suppose it depends on what type of sailing you plan on doing.  If you are looking at long tacks and want time away from the tiller for more than a few seconds, the tillerpilot is the way to go.  If you just need a hand every now and then to go to the mast or in the cabin for a few seconds, I recommend the extension.   

I've mentioned this before in one of the threads about this:  I find the extension allows me to sit further forward in the cockpit which makes seeing the tell tails easier and moving my weight forward allows the boat to not "drag it's ass" through the water and sail better with the bow down a little more.  I didn't install a lock box like Al has and find that I can just jam the end of the extension into the footwell against the teak trim piece around the centerboard pennant and it holds pretty well for a minute or so, usually long enough to get the main up.  It depends on the water conditions.   

I looked at the installation instructions that came with the tillerpilot.  It is not an easy job to measure out everything and drill holes/install all the pieces in the correct places and get the angles right.  Certainly not something I would tackle.  Someone handier than I could probably do it in less than an hour.  Installing the extension was a matter of drilling a hole in the tiller and screwing in the brass connector.  (Note:  the Forespar didn't come with screws.  Make sure you have the correct ones or you will be making another trip to the store.) 

Both options are excellent, it just depends on your specific needs/wants and what you are doing with the boat.  There is also a major difference in cost, of course.   I would first try the extension and see if it meets your needs, only a $100 investment that you may find is all you need.  If you find you really need the pilot, I would not hesitate to buy one as it works really well if used in the right conditions of wind/water.  One caveat:  I have read they don't like to get wet and will die an expensive death.   Another caveat:    As Frank said, you don't want it fighting an unbalanced boat, that will kill the battery quickly.  Make sure you aren't over powered with a strong weather helm as the pilot can't keep up with that.   

I'm sure some of the "old salts" here can show you how to rig up some lines/shock cords to accomplish locking the tiller down but I find the extension to be the perfect addition, at least for the type of sailing I do.  When it comes to boats, I've always been in the camp of simpler is better and less likely to break.

Vectordirector
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

waterwheels

Vector director,

Thank you very much for your detailed response. Do you find the 48" to be the a good length? or did you get the telescopic forespar? I wondered if you were installing a lock box if the 27" (the 48" shortened) would be still a little long.
I think you gave some great advice to try the extension first as it would be a great addition anyway and may do the job.
Maybe Al will add his thoughts on the lock box. Looks like it would be handy but not sure I want to cut into the boat. I did see one that attached to the rail, but not sure where to get that.

Thanks Don
"Living Water"

alsantini

I installed the lock box when I bought the boat and use it with the telescoping Forespar.  It is mostly used to keep the tiller in the center position when I am raising the main, dropping the main, getting something in the cabin, etc.  I also use it when winds are steady on my summer sailing lake and I am feeling lazy.  The lock box install is a piece of cake since there is a pretty wide hollow area between the edge of the seat back and the outside of the boat.  It is probably 3 inches or so.  I traced the outline of the cut using the instruction sheet.  I drilled 4 holes inside the outline at the corners and used my jig saw with a very fine blade to cut between the holes.  I wore safety glasses and a respirator because of the very fine dust.  I caulked the underside of the lockbox pushed it in place, drilled a small hole for each of the attaching screws and slowly screwed in the screws.  Voila - total time 15 minutes.  An auto pilot would be wayyyy better but the Forspar with a lock box is functional and reasonable from an expense side.  I do not have pics but can take them should someone need to see it actually installed.

Vectordirector

Hi Don,

I have this one:  http://www.westmarine.com/buy/forespar--twist-lock-tiller-extensions--P002_074_001_502

$100 everywhere I looked online.  My local Westmarine had it in stock.  Removed the tiller from the boat and locked it in a vise to drill the hole, about 5 inches from the end of the tiller.  My cheap drill bit must have been a little off or maybe the high humidity, but the metal piece was TIGHT and I had to hammer it in even after boring the hole out a little more.  Screwed it in and it hasn't moved at all in over a year.  My 84 year old sailing buddy (who's been sailing longer than I've been alive) commented that they don't float, and try not to sit on it.  Wonder how he knows?  I think it is the perfect size for the Eclipse.  It should come with the boat from the factory.

Vec
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

Salty19

Quote from: captronr on January 14, 2016, 08:13:13 AM
Hi all,

Thinking of buying a Wavefront Tiller tamer and have some questions please.

Installation and use seems straightforward.  How do you attach the control line to the boat?  I would think it would need to be located so that if you stood and raised the tiller, the control line would still function without adjustment. 

Opinion:  The Wavefront Tiller Clutch is very nice and the best setup I've tried so far.  There are instructions in the kit to help with determining the location of the line ends, but there is some flexibility to these dimensions.  I've had the Tiller Clutch installed now for three seasons on our CP19, granted not the same as your Eclipse.  The first two seasons I just tied the control line to SS rings that were tied off the aft cleats. It worked, but was getting to be a pain and the tension was almost never "perfect".  You won't be able to tilt the tiller up too far with the control line attached.   In terms of location, the line should make somewhat of a smooth "arc", that is to say don't angle the line aft at an extreme angle.  Test fit before committing to ensure the tiller can swing a smooth arc to both side without the line being angled too much. You'll see what I mean. 

I could see using a snap shackle on one end of the control line, but would you need a cam cleat to easily control the opposite end?

Opinion:  That's similar to what I did in the third season, but I installed a good size saddle on top of a small 1/2" tall piece of starboard (HPDE plastic) to the starboard side to tie the line, and a cam cleat, also on top of a 1/2" piece of HPDE to port.  Both mounted on the aft top coaming, which I think your Eclipse has.  It not easy to install them with bolts and backing plates--long arms and they were just long enough.  Anyway, this allows the line to be adjusted from the port side, and the saddle can be used to tie other things (like a line to the bottom of the ladder to pull it up after boarding, or towing The Admirals' stand-up paddle board. The control line just stayed attached to the saddle all season.

This winter I'm making a new tiller cover that will wrap around the aft tiller,  allowing me LEAVE the control line attached to hold the rudder while at the dock.  I had been using a separate line shackled to those rings to hold the tiller at dock, so this will be one less line to rig/de-rig each time I sail. 

Assume you would need to remove the control line in order to operate the motor docking, etc?

If you don't use the line to hold the tiller at the dock as suggested above, you really only need to loosen one side and slack it enough to get the tiller cover one.  No need to remove it from the clutch or from one side of the boat.

Thanks.
Ron
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Salty19

I took the liberty of changing the thread title since there are so many contraptions with similar names.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603