a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Outboard motor bracket

Started by philb Junkie19, March 29, 2017, 09:14:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogerschwake

My Sun-Cat came  with the stainless steel motor bracket. I took the 3/8X6" bolt out that the springs are mounted on and removed two springs and put it back together. It is a little tricky to get back together and make sure you remove the outboard before starting. This way when you change engines you can adjust the springs to match that engine. It would be a good idea to carry a extra 3/8X6" bolt, had one break when the motor bracket was about 10 years old. Good luck on your project.

ROGER

wes

"A little tricky" is a charming understatement. Garelick refuses to sell replacement parts to consumers, on the grounds they are likely to kill themselves taking the mount apart. I don't agree, but boy those are some powerful springs and they are under considerable tension. Be careful out there.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

philb Junkie19

Before I got ahead of myself and went looking for a cut off wheel for the 4"angle grinder I tried the the 64 lb, via the bathroom scale, motor on the bracket and was pleasantly surprised.  The motor went down the first 3 notches using just the handle. I did have to push pretty hard on the motor for that bottom notch. I think I can live with that. If it proves to be a pain cutting is still an option.  With the extra long shaft, that actually measures 27" to the anti-cavitation plate, I may run it more in notch 3 in flatter water anyway. I really like the way it lifts back up with no effort, what a difference!  Mac, I' m glad I went with the 11 and not the14 inch lift, enough clearance above the water and a better choice all around.