a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Cockpit anchor storage

Started by john day, December 30, 2015, 04:57:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john day

My '02 sun cat does not have the bow anchor package.  I have decided to make no changes, and use a 6lb hi tinsel  danforth with proper  rhode and chain ....any ideas on storage  containers,bags,where? My secondary anchor is a small bruce with rhode and chain and will remain stored unless needed in addition to the danforth.

john day
  sun cat "sweet"

Ferd Johns

When I had my SunCat, I kept each of my two anchors in its own plastic pail, on top of the chain/nylon rode that I kept coiled in the pail. Both pails fit easily in the starboard cockpit locker. I put the cooler and water/drinks in the port locker to trim the boat. When anchoring, it was very convenient to lower the anchor from the cockpit (after securing the bitter end of the rode to a cleat! Although some just tie it to the bucket handle .... I didn't trust that), set the anchor either under sail or power, and then walk the rode forward to the bow cleat. Getting underway, reverse the process. Much easier and safer weighing anchor from the cockpit than from the bow.

capt_nemo

Like ferdjohns I also kept my Bruce Primary with chain-rope rode stored in a large rubber horse bucket down in the port cockpit locker.

Sailing solo, I would set anchor from the cockpit and later switch rode to the bow cleat forward.

Both techniques served me well for the 5 1/2 years that I owned "Frisky" the Sun Cat.

capt_nemo

Christopher

My 03 also does not have the bow anchor.  I stow my anchor, chain and rode in a Budweiser insulated bag.  It is a large bag with handles and it is insulated so it really does a nice job of protecting the boat's fiberglass from dings, scraps etc. and it lays nicely in the cockpit locker.  I stow it in the starboard locker.  I bid on the bag that also came with a Budweiser sweat shirt at a charity event.   
Second Wind

BruceW

John,

Back in the day, I used similar to the methods mentioned above. I had, still have, a duffel bag that held everything. I put it in a plastic tub like kitty litter goes in, in the starboard locker. Sometimes, with this method, I would anchor stern-to, to funnel the breeze better into the cabin. Later on, I had the anchor roller put on, and that helped me balance for and aft, but I really didn't like that as well as the previous method. I had a pvc pipe section up front to hold the chain, and the rode itself went into a deck pipe (the pipe was too small for the chain), and that was an okay method.

Bruce
Bruce Woods
Raleigh: WR 17
New Bern: CP 23

john day

Thanks to all !- your ideas will be put to use

john day sv 'sweet'