News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Any good ideas for a proper tiller extension for a sun cat?

Started by Peter Dubé, November 22, 2015, 04:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Dubé

Has anyone built or purchased a nice short tiller extension that fits the style of the Sun Cat?. The commercial extensions are good but they would not look good on one of our pretty boats.

I don't need anything very long. Made of wood. How would you attach it?

Thanks

Peter
Compac Sun Cat
s/v Sun Daze
Vero Beach  FL

frank

There are SS "swivels" available for exactly that!  Search Defender and/or Worst Marine

Too easy to make one....have done several over the years
Small boats: God's gift to young boys and older men

capt_nemo

Sounds like you are concerned about "Form" as well as "Function".

It is a simple matter to TEMPORARILY attach an extension to the end of the tiller and check out its function. Temporarily attach a block of wood to the top of the tiller forward end with SS hose clamps using something to protect the tiller wood. You can now experiment with attaching the wooden extension in various ways and also check for proper length and movement. Once you have decided how to attach the extension, it can be left on the tiller (ready, at hand) if capable of being rotated 180 degrees to rest securely in a "holder" (wooden?) fastened on top of the tiller to engage the extension when not in use.

I made an adjustable length tiller extension with two degrees of freedom universal joint for my Sun Cat out of different diameters of PVC Pipe. Worked quite well, but I did not use it so removed it forever more.

Just some food for thought.

capt_nemo

nicktulloh

Peter Dubé

Nick, in reply to your question about what I want an extension. I primarily single hand the boat. The extension would make it more easy to sit in more foreward places. It would not have to be very long. As captain nemo started, I am concerned about form, so I want it to fit the motif of the Sun Cat. I really don't relish the thought of drilling holes in the tiller. I might try to lash something on.
Compac Sun Cat
s/v Sun Daze
Vero Beach  FL

nicktulloh

Quote from: Peter Dubé on November 23, 2015, 09:51:30 AM
Nick, in reply to your question about what I want an extension. I primarily single hand the boat. The extension would make it more easy to sit in more foreward places. It would not have to be very long. As captain nemo started, I am concerned about form, so I want it to fit the motif of the Sun Cat. I really don't relish the thought of drilling holes in the tiller. I might try to lash something on.

How long is your current tiller? Different lengths are available and they're pretty reasonable.

Bob23

I sprung for a Harken (I think) tiller extension and it was worth every penny. Adjustable length, nice foam handle and good quality stainless steel hardware. ( I sail in salt water and cheap stainless soon becomes evident.)  I think I bought it from Defender...60 clams or so...don't remember exact amount.
Bob23

FireDrill

I bought a Forespar 19-32" small tiller extension which has a telescoping handle (Forespar # 104016- in West Marine catalog) .  It is black  with a black rubbery comfort grip over about the last 8 or 9 inches  has a stainless steel quick release end fitting and socket.  I Mounted it a few inches down the tiller so a good sized hand could grip the wooden tiller without touching the extension folded up on top of the rest of the tiller (had to drill hole for socket)

It has the advantage ifyou don't want to look at it,  you can put it away... You must put it elsewhere to put the ComPac Tiller cover on.  The European Jam cleat  (West Marine 261156) and a strong heavy duty bungee cord serve as a tiller tamer on the bottom of the tiller and is such that the tiller can be grabbed with the cover on.  (without that cleat the tiller extension could probably remain in place under the cover)  

I installed a small plastic clip to hold the tiller in place - (I think it came with tiller extension) but had to raise it about a 1/2 inch on a small block and use a razor blade to shorten the grip about a half inch to fit behind the clip  so that the handle could extend out over the ComPac plastic "cleat" for the rudder dropping/lifting line.

Finally, an advantage of this particular tiller and mounting arrangement is that the handle can be extended to the back of the seat To make a rigid tiller tamer by simply tightening the bungee on that side as shown in the picture.  The rubber ball seems to hold pretty tightly as shown in the picture.  To get the best fit for the cleat both to the bungee and the tiller cover, I cut  a small amount off of its stem.  

How well it fits with the look and style of our elegant little cruisers is clearly a matter of opinion, but I feel it is not out of place given the hardware at the aft end of the cockpit including the mainsheet hardware, stainless in the gallows, the rudder itself  and the motor and its mount.  It can also be very easily removed for those special "dressy" occasions.

Don Lehmbeck,
2012 SunCat named "CatEase"
Belief: "A small sailing craft is not only beautiful, it is seductive and full of strange promise and the hint of trouble".. E.B. White..
Retired Engineer and Adjunct Faculty ,
35 years sailing small cruisers in Upstate NY and nearby Canada

Peter Dubé

Don,

Thanks for positing the pics. Looks like a good extension and very nice installation. I would have preferred a wood extension for looks, but your installation does not look bad at all.

Peter
Compac Sun Cat
s/v Sun Daze
Vero Beach  FL

Tom L.

Don thanks for the pictures. I have one of the Canadian tiller locks that I use like you have with the European jam cleat and I use bungee cord as well. The problem is it is mounted on top of the tiller and would really interfer with a hiking stick. I guess I am just slow but I never thought to remount it on the underside. Problem solved now off to get the Forespar hiking stick.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat