Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Trailer Guide Bunks

Started by Finbar Beagle, May 09, 2018, 08:07:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Finbar Beagle

Folks,

I have been reading, and it seems lke the Trailor guide bunks are a good investment, especially for singlehanders.

I am assuming these need to be mounted at boats widest point in the waist.  Does anyone have the measurements for mounting correctly?

Thanks,
Brian
Brian, Finbar Beagle's Dad

CP 19 MkII- Galway Terrapin, Hull 372
Northern Barnegat Bay, NJ

bruce

Side bunks are very useful. They are sturdy enough to guide the boat onto the trailer, you can really pivot off them. Goal posts bend too easily, IMHO.

I use C.E. Smith 27660 bunks. I set them about an inch wider than the maximum width of the boat on each side, and have them bear on the boot stripe so I don't scratch the hull, dark blue in my case. Looking at the second picture, the end of the bunk underneath the boat is about 9 1/4" from the inside face of the trailer frame. It's not that critical, an inch or two either side of perfectly centered isn't a big deal. They do rust in salt water, mine lasted about 6 years before I had to replace them.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Bilge Rat

to get this measurement I crawled under my trailer and measured the bottom of the keel at it's widest point. Mine are carpeted so no need to worry about scratching the hulll. I also replaced the stock 2x4's with 2x6's to better embrace the keel on steep ramps.
'09 Sun Cat, '06 Catalina 16.5, '00 Lido 14, '84 Holder 14

Finbar Beagle

Bilge and Bruce,

Thanks, this is perfect.  The guide bunks a are on order and will be installed next week.

Thanks again,
Brian
Brian, Finbar Beagle's Dad

CP 19 MkII- Galway Terrapin, Hull 372
Northern Barnegat Bay, NJ