a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Suncat Dodger/sunshade

Started by frank, December 01, 2015, 12:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frank

When I ordered my Suncat late in 08, I wanted a dodger. They really change so many things cruising. Underway they give wind, spray and some rail protection if you sit forward. At anchor, the same and if raining...you now can leave your companionway hatch open....a real treat as the cabin feels so much bigger. Gerry had never done a Suncat dodger before this one.     
I had them put a zipper on the aft end of the dodger for the sun/rain shade to zip onto. There are 2 sets of "pockets" port and stbd where simple electrical conduit slips in to keep the sides out. The aft end has 4 SS hooks that quickly snap into 4 SS "eye bolts" I put on the boom gallows. The shade rolls up tightly to store, to put up, unroll, zip forward end onto dodger, I have 2 "ties" where the conduit goes...tie them around boom to keep the center up, and clip onto boom gallows aft. Fast, simple and easy.       
Makes a great cruising setup.

Small boats: God's gift to young boys and older men

frank

You'll see I changed the mainsheet system as well. Didn't like all the spegetti of 2 sheets so converted to a simple "one sheet" system like an M15.
Ended up with a far bit of extra line (always useful on a boat) and an extra cam cleat block to use elsewhere

frank

Rick liked it so much, he did the same set-up on "Seaweed", his Suncat.
We were both M15 sailors and although they truly are great and fun boats....this is downright luxury in comparison!

capt_nemo

Had Dodgers on 2 larger sailboats which proved quite useful when cruising and living aboard for reasons already stated.

The forward edge of my folding Bimini had a zipper as did the aft edge of my Dodger. A "Bimini Bridge" panel of Sunbrella with mating zippers connected the two together forming a complete cockpit cover.

Then I went the rest of the way with side and rear panels of Sunbrella frames with clear plastic windows for a complete Cockpit Enclosure. Stored carefully below when not in use, they provided great flexibility in dealing with a variety of weather conditions.

Unfortunately there are no photos available to share with you.

capt_nemo

frank

I've seen that same set up you mention on many many larger boats.....

storage and simplicitity were my aims/priority with the Suncat.

These are great lil boats!!!  probably "thee best" trailer sailer out there!!

Simpler the better....