a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

A Guide to Anchorages in Southwest Florida

Started by sam23, February 08, 2008, 04:53:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sam23

A gentleman by the name of Stan Zimmerman has been giving sailing lectures for the past few weeks.  After Stan's lecture last night, a few of us were speaking with Stan about sailing to Key West from Sarasota Bay.  Stan recommend a book called "A Guide to Anchorages in Southwest Florida", but he was not sure where one might find a copy or even if it was still in print.  I got online today to see if I could track down a copy, and to my surprise, the whole book can be downloaded for free from:

http://nsgl.gso.uri.edu/flsgp/flsgph99001/flsgph99001index.html

I thought other members might like to know about this valuable resource.

I would also recommend Stans lectures (free) and his book as an excellent, down to earth nut and bolts sailing guide:

http://www.amazon.com/Cruising-Class-Stan-Zimmerman/dp/1552126544

Happy sailing all,
Sam

kchunk

Hi there Sam. I think you and anyone who seeks anchorage in FL may be interested in this little bit I came across a few months ago. It clarifies the laws regarding anchorage and mooring on the FL ICW. It's very recent (July 06) and cleared up a lot of things for me as to the who, where and for how long one can anchor in the ICW. We must not let the local municipalities regulate our rights!

http://www.halifaxsailing.org/Florida-anchorage-law.pdf

A few quotes from the file:

In plain English this means that, except in designated mooring fields, municipalities have no authority to
regulate where a typical cruising vessel anchors, unless they can prove the vessel is not used for anything other than a
residence or place of business.

and...

Maritime attorney Ted Guy advises cruising sailors who live aboard their boats to adopt the term
"fulltime cruisers" when referring to their lifestyle, thus shifting the responsibility to municipalities to prove the vessel
is a residence under Florida law.

I found it very interesting reading.

--Greg

sam23

Thanks for the feedback Greg.  I am still pretty much of a day sailer but plan to do a Key West voyage late this year or in 2009.  I need a lot more sailing experience before setting out but am also trying to learn the logistical issues associate with such a journey.  I was only vaugely aware of the legal concerns with mooring (I am very fortunate in being able to rent a dock from an individual on Sarasota Bay) so your information is very much appreciated.

Sam

kchunk

Sam, are you planning to cross the bay to Key West or follow the islands down? We're heading down in July, no exact date yet, and we'll be trailering our 23 down (yes, I found my 23 after you snatched up yours so quickly). I've taken the family down to the Keys every summer for a few years now and only dreamed about having a boat down there. This year is going to be great! We should have a date here within a couple more weeks and I'll let you know when. If you're up to a trip by then we could have Keys Convergence ;) .

Aside from that, I think our first cruise of any length will be to the Dry Tortugas. I've never been, but from what I hear, the trip is everything the Bahamas is without needing a passport.

jimyoung

Sam,

Thanks for the link.....  I am leaving from Ft. Lauderdale next Monday for a trip through the Keys, up the West Coast and then back via Key West and maybe the Dry Tortugas in my 27/2.  The trip was supposed to include the OWW and "loop" around but the lake levels just are too low to chance it with a 3"8" draft.  I am sure book on anchorages will be very helpful!

Thanks again and if I knew how to give you a "Good Karma" credit I would for this one!
Jim

sam23

You are very welcome Jim and all the best on your voyage.  I'd like to hear any recommendations you learn from your experience.

Sam

Paul

Regarding "Karma" or as Capt K used to say "KAAAARRRR-Maaaa."   (Use your best pirate voice.)  :)

Simply click on the [Good] by the word Karma.  It should show up immediately as a +1.......

Nice info.  Thanks for sharing.

Danscuba

Thank you, I am going to send this link to my brother who also sails the gulf waters