a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Barrier coat, bottom paint or ????

Started by alsantini, November 16, 2015, 03:44:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsantini

This is actually a question from Capt Ron (#68) and me (#49).  Both of our boats have a very hard reddish coating below the water line.  I figured it was an epoxy barrier coat of some sort, but Matt at Com Pac thinks it "may" be bottom paint over a gray barrier, but is not totally sure.  Anyone figure out what this stuff is?  and who the manufacture is?  Thanks - inquiring minds need to know. LOL

Vectordirector

Sand some of the red off if you can.  See what's under it.  If it is grey it is probably a barrier coat like interprotect 2000 with a hard anitfoul over it.  If it is white underneath, it is probably just an antifoul over the gelcoat with no barrier coat underneath.  Matt told me they paint the boats with grey barrier coat if requested.  What goes on top I think depends on the owner/dealer.  Unless you can track back and contact all the owners or have all the paperwork, it is a guess at best. 

My boat has the grey undercoat with a black ablative that is mostly gone that was over the top of it.  I called Keith in Oriental, NC who sold the boat to the guy I bought it from.  He said it his records said they had put Trinidad on it.  It started life as a saltwater boat so that made sense to me.  Glad to be rid of it as it would get all over my hands when installing or removing the rudder.  Nasty stuff.  The gray is holding up fine sitting on the lift uncovered for the last year. 

I don't think there are that many bottom paints that come in red.  Maybe you can narrow it down by color.  Some guys use house paint, you never know. 

Then you have to ask "does it matter for what I do with the boat?"  Only you know the answer. 

Any update on your snowbird status?  The weather is getting better here, but you knew that.

Bryan aka
Vectordirector
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

DanM

I have a 2011 SunCat with factory epoxy barrier (the grey) and bottom coat (the red stuff). i need to re-do bottom paint so I wrote to Gerry at Com-Pac and asked what they use. His response:  "for the epoxy we use Interlux 2000E.  We use West Marine's Bottom Shield modified epoxy anti-fouling paint."

captronr

Hi all,

If I wrote down correctly what I heard today, they use Interlux Interprotect 2000E which is grayish in color applied first.    On top of that they use Interlux anti-fouling Red modified epoxy barrier coat.

I have a few (not many) dings in the red and at some point, might like to fill them in.

THANKS.
Ron
"When the world ends, I want to be in KANSAS, because its 20 years behind the times."  Plagarized from Mark Twain

alsantini

Got back an answer from Gerry at Com Pac and it is as Grinder has stated: "Al - I referred to the original invoice for this boat.  We installed the epoxy barrier coat and red anti-fouling paint.  The epoxy would be Interlux 2000/2001 (the name at the time) and the anti-fouling would be West Marine's Bottom Shield.  Bottom Shield is a modified epoxy anti-fouling paint and that is probably why it seems so hard."
Always nice to deal with a responsive company.     Al

captronr

Thanks Al.

Appreciate your efforts on the paint question..............

Ron
"When the world ends, I want to be in KANSAS, because its 20 years behind the times."  Plagarized from Mark Twain