a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Should I purchase a bimini?

Started by Peter Dubé, October 15, 2015, 07:16:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Dubé

Hi everyone!. My first post!  I am now the proud owner of a 2004 Sun Cat. Loving her so far.

On my wish list is a bimini. I'm in South Florida, so I'm looking for Sun protection.

My hesitation comes from my worry that it will restrict  movement in the boat too much. For instance, when it is down, how much is access to the motor effected?

Basically, I'm looking for all the problems that the bimini will bring with it. That way I will be prepared and not surprised.

Thanks

Peter D.
Compac Sun Cat
s/v Sun Daze
Vero Beach  FL

Craig

We have had biminis on both the Suncat and the Horizon Cat. They are absolutely worthwhile in the Florida sun(and showers)! Not a real problem regarding motor access. On the HC we stow the bimini forward on the coachroof. Does not hinder access to the cabin and frees up a little cockpit space. The factory bimini is a little more expensive than aftermarket versions but is very well made and sturdy. IMHO the upside of having a bimini far outweighs any negatives. In fact the only negative we have found is that sail trim requires looking around the bimini but that is a minor inconvenience to have some shade!
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

Tom L.

A Bimini on the Sun Cat is not a problem when stored. It can either be laid down in the aft part of the cockpit or some folks have it secured to the top of the gallows just under the booms notches. When laid down flat it is actually clear of the cockpit and rest on the rear deck in front of the gallows uprights. The only real issue with Bimini's, and that is all Bimini's, is that it blocks your view of the main. As mentioned before you will need to look around and up to trim the main.
I too live in Florida and you will find a Bimini nearly essential equipment. If you make it too the WCTSS cruise this weekend at Pelica Bay you will see at least three Sun Cats with a Bimini.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

Catawampus

I agree with Tom. The bimini on our 2003 Sun Cat folds down at the back of the cockpit out of the way. I also agree that when up, I am unable to see the luff of the main which makes it difficult to keep the main trimmed properly. I have found that by adjusting the straps to pull the bimini forward a bit, I can create a space at the back of the bimini where I can pop my head up to peek at the luff of the main. Even with that awkward situation, it is far better to have the shade available on hot sunny days. I do not think you will have any regrets if you add the bimini.

Peter Dubé

Thanks for the replies!   I will be ordering a bimini.  Good to know that it stores well on the back of the cockpit, mostly out of the way.

Peter D.
Compac Sun Cat
s/v Sun Daze
Vero Beach  FL

Tom L.

That is correct Peter. I see you are ordering the mounting tracks from a different post. The tracks are what makes it possible to lower the bimini and slide it to the back of the cockpit. So you are on the right track as they say.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

Vipersdad

http://www.websweeper.com/biminitops/part-3575

This is the bimini that MacGyver mounted on his CP 19.  It is on my to-do list for next spring.

V.
s/v  "MaryElla"   Com-Pac 19 / II  #436
Iceboat "Red Bird"--Polar Bear 10-Meter, Built 1953

Lake Winnebago, Lake Mendota, Lake Namakagon, Lake Superior.

"To Hutch, Gerry, Buck, and Clarkie--Who made it so much fun.".....Robert F. Burgess, Author-Handbook of Trailer Sailing 1984

hoddinr

My Bimini does not have the tracks, so it stays up next to the boom gallows.  I'm going to fix that by getting a set of tracks installed.

Ron

Peter Dubé

I received my new bimini from Ameriseam. Really nice quality!. Sunbrella fabric. Installation was a snap. I believe the installation instructions are for the current transom mounted traveler, as I had to mount muy track much further aft than the instructions said.

I got to try out the bimini yesterday. Really really love it !!!. Thanks for all the replies here!

Peter Dubé
Compac Sun Cat
s/v Sun Daze
Vero Beach  FL

FireDrill

I really love my SunCat  bimini too, especially for those dog days of summer here in the NY Finger Lakes when it gets into the 90's with little wind,  but with aft sheeting it was more of a problem.  Perhaps my solutions would be of interest to you and others now that you are into it.

Many bimini problems were fixed by the aft-support-pole-dousing  arrangement  shown in the pictures which is especially useful for aft sheeted SunCats but may be helpful to your mid ship traveler system too.

I used the factory bimini and installed a second set of sliders adding home-made bimini support poles to the aft slide.   This way the stored position does not interfere with the access to the aft sheeting, the outboard, the tiller extension,  and using the aft most seating.  (Many owners have commented on the special nature of sitting in the aft corner of the cockpit.)  Using 4 tracks,   I experimented with moving the bimini a little further forward for more aft space to peek at sail trim (not great but better than further aft ) This may also be important for your mid boom sheeting, i.e. just to see the sail better.  The basic problem is the bimini is too  long (54 inches) for the 84 inch cockpit (gallows to cabin top) especially if you need to allow 18 inches for the aft main sheet on a tack or gybe (only leaves 12" up front - i.e. sit for sail raising/lowering).  18" aft space  causes the folded down position to be too far forward for motor access.  Even with the doused  bimini, all the way aft which midship sheeting allows, its bulk still interfers somewhat with access to the motor and the tiller extension.  This support pole  arrangement also reduces the need for two aft support lines which can get in the way and are tricky for raising the bimini single handing. For mid boom sheeting  18-30 inches up front would be possible permitting standing when working the sails – since no clearance between gallows  is required aft - but giving up the sail peeking space.

I use a between-hoops horizontal  support pole to lock the front hoop  in place without the need for forward straps,  improving boat access at the dock and ease of going  forward. Having it low and short improves the open feeling  of the bimini (it is also short enough to fold between the others for the doused position. You  must release one end. However, it is not as strong as a longer pole, higher up)  Set up while underway -single handing - is easier with this system,  since one hoop is already in place.  The boom is too low to swing the forward bimini hoop through its arc. This is best accomplished  by tying the boom  wide a-beam via a mid-ship cleat (to a cleat on the boom used for reefing) while underway.  I then  swing the forward hoop   into place,  attaching the two horizontal supports, while still in mid cockpit and controlling the tiller. This is usually done under motor but not necessarily. If under sail the heave-to's  wide a-beam sail position works well. At the dock, facing aft, one hand can raise the boom  while the other pulls the front hoop up through its arc, again difficult with no aft bimini support. 

The fittings are: 7/8 marine grade aluminum  tubing – cut to the length needed,. -  I experimented with PVC pipe first-(I found 17 ½ and  9 ½  inches - eye to eye- worked best for me)   6 Hinged jaw slides (Hard to find - Sailrite  sells them on-line) make this easy without taking the base bimini structure apart.  (There are less costly hinged  nylon jaw slides  may be available in some boating stores ),  8 external eye ends, 2 new  slides/rails and 2 horizontal deck hinges for mounting on the slides  are needed.  Several replacement thumb screws for easy turning of the hinge/mounts are useful too (added after the pictures were taken) -   
Don Lehmbeck,
2012 SunCat named "CatEase"
Belief: "A small sailing craft is not only beautiful, it is seductive and full of strange promise and the hint of trouble".. E.B. White..
Retired Engineer and Adjunct Faculty ,
35 years sailing small cruisers in Upstate NY and nearby Canada

hoddinr

Thanks for the great photos and descriptions, Don!

This may work for me with my mid-boom sheeting as well.  I have the sliders mounted now, by Com-Pac, but haven't had her out to try it yet.  Gerry did point out that the folded aft bimini did interfere somewhat with steering, so I thought about a way to prop it up above the tiller and the auto-tiller.  Your idea would do that, I think!

Ron

Tom L.

Thank you Don. That is the best arrangement I have seen for mounting the bimini. Eliminating the straps and complete adjustability for and aft, a real plus.

frank

This is a great cruising setup.

Compac had never done a Suncat dodger before. I had them put a zipper on the aft end of the dodger.
The sunshade is so simple! Have done this on several boats in the past.
2 pockets for 1in PVC electric pipe sewn in. It rolls up small when not in use.
To use...zip it to dodger, 4 'hooks' on sunshade attach it to 4 SS 'eye bolts' on boom gallows.
Light line from hole above PVC pipe at center of shade is then tied over boom.( 2 pipes)

The dodger is an amazing investment. Great in a blow...keeps wind n spray off you.
Great on rain days as hatch remains open and interior 'feels' bigger. Great in sun too.

The sunshade is awesome at dock or anchor! Rain, wind or sun....super!

I have sailed on long runs and reachs with it up...but can't tack back/forth beating.

This is a really simple set-up. No bimini frame, sun shade is easily rolled up n out of the way when not in
use...and the dodger is awesome in any weather!
Small boats: God's gift to young boys and older men