a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Older '27s Gotta love them.

Started by deisher6, October 25, 2015, 12:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deisher6

Last Monday Carl (not crazy) drove to the coast from Ashville with his friend Linda to check out a pair of C-23's and a Catalina.  After checking out the boats we went for a sail on Windrunner.  While sailing and motoring the bilge pump was kicking on too much.  I suspected the stuffing box and decided to wait until Wednesday, when I was going cruising,  to check it out.

The pump kicks out 2-3 cups of water when it comes on.

Wednesday after filling up the water tank, gearing up, and headed down river.  The bilge pump began cycling approximately every 5 minutes.  Turned off the engine and put up the sails and checked out the stuffing box.  It needed tightening.  However while I was in the cockpit locker working on the stuffing box the pump kicked on twice!

Thinking, hard, on where the water could be coming from: fresh water system, the two reworked sensor through hulls  under the v-berth behind the water tank (I had just pulled the speedometer sensor and cleaned the wheel), or the bob stay fitting.  Pulled all the life jackets out of the v-berth stowage.  The bottom of the locker was wet.  Confirmed that the through hulls were not leaking and that the water tank outlet was not leaking.  The water seemed to be coming from the gap under the water tank, I had always assumed that this lead to the chain locker.

With the tightening of the stuffing box the bilge pump was not kicking on as much, the water coming from under the v-berth was a trickle, decided to wait until anchored to check forward of the water tank.

Anchored in 8 ft of water using all 120 ft of chain, nice scope.  The lower fastening of the bob stay in the chair locker seemed to be sealed, but I stuffed a paper towel under it to see if there was any seepage.  The trickle under the water tank seemed to go away.  Since I was already poking around the chain locker I checked out the round plug just behind the chain locker at the most forward part of the v berth.  It provides access to the deck fill and vent fittings on the water tank.  Both of the hose clamps were loose. 

I had filled the water tank though an inspection port on top...do not use the deck fill very often.  The tank pas probably filled above the vent and fill openings.

The water in the bilge was coming both from the stuffing box and the deck fill and/or vent fillings on the front of the water tank.  The water tank leaking stopped when the chain was deployed and the clamps were tightened.

Sailed and motored for the next three days without any further problems.  Hope that this helps another C-27 sailer!

regards charlie

MtnCarl

Glad you found the source of the water!  We enjoyed the sail on Windrunner.  Both of the 23's were nice, and I recommend them to anyone looking. Thanks to Beverly for the great Spam/Pineapple rice dinner!

deisher6

Hey Carl:
Enjoyed the sail and the company.  Stay in touch and let me know if you chose a ComPac or possibly the Catalina.
regards charlie