a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Mainsheet rigging

Started by Peapod, September 17, 2015, 06:38:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peapod

I'm pretty new to the SunCat, just getting to know her.  The more I learn, the more fun it is.  Sail trim,  especially, is satisfying once you get some feel for it.  But now I have a question I'd rather not solve by trial and error, if you generous sailors can help out.

My mainsheet is rigged at the boom end.  I noticed that the former owner did not even run the sheet up and down the maximum number of times, and I don't feel like I need any more mechanical advantage.  My problem is, the sheet is often in the way of the tiller, the tiller extension, tiller tamer, the rudder lifter, and my two left feet.  So, I've been considering moving it up to mid-boom with a traveler on the bridge deck.

Can you tell me what advantages and disadvantages there are to end-boom vs mid-boom sheeting on the Sun Cat?  Are there other options, as well?

Thanks,

Eric

p.s., Warning: the more useful answers I get, the more questions I'll post, and you'll never get rid of me!  I have a list, but I think I should post them one at a time.

frank

Mid boom has better sail shape both beating and reaching...but is at times a bit in the way in/out of companion way.

Aft boom leave the cockpit more open.

had both...prefer mid
Small boats: God's gift to young boys and older men

rogerschwake

My Suncat was bought used and came with mid-boom sheeting, so I haven't sailed one any other way. It does get in the way to enter and exit the cabin but it also makes a good hand hold at times. With a good boom vang I believe you wouldn't need a traveler for the main sheet because you never sheet that close even sailing up wind. I have a 2 speed main sheet from Garhauer that works great for me, and use the original main sheet  for a vang. Most of my sailing is on small lakes with lots of tacking and the mid-boom sheeting works great for me. The more you sail the Suncat the more you will like it.

ROGER

capt_nemo

Peapod,

Sailed my 2010 Sun Cat for 5 1/2 years with end boom sheeting/double ended mainsheet and liked it a lot once I got a few of the problems you mentioned worked out.

The main advantage is, as already pointed out, no traveler and main sheet rigging in way of the companionway entrance. Another disadvantage is the fact that it requires more force applied to move the boom when hard on the wind with the tackle attached mid boom. But, with sufficient mechanical advantage in the tackle, this is easily remedied. One advantage not often mentioned is that it is nice to lean back in the rear of the cockpit with legs up on the seat and a hand resting on the tiller to enjoy a relaxing sail with the mainsheet readily at hand. And, there is another main sheet end on the other side for use when I tacked.

Solved the problem of wet mainsheet by fabricating a cockpit grate that keeps it dry should it fall down onto the cockpit sole. Solved the problem of tangled mixed up mainsheet ends by keeping them separated nicely on the cockpit seat on either side of a storage box/beverage holder under the tiller swing, an area unsuited for anything else.

capt_nemo

Craig

The Capt and I agree on the sheeting arrangement! I too like having the sheets readily at hand, especially single handed. I have had boats with mid-boom sheeting and disliked having to work around them in the cockpit.
For me, sailing enjoyment is enhanced by convenience and ease of handling(one of the reasons I have a catboat). When I first started looking at Suncats, they had the midboom sheeting which I did not like. When I bought mine they had gone to the current rig. Some have commented negatively on having two sheet tails. Having that rig on both the Suncat and the Horizon Cat, I can say that system really works once one gets used to it. As an additional plus it is a safety factor in being able to quickly release the sheets from either side of the cockpit. To really flatten the sail a vang is the best way to go. That being said, unless you are concerned about last fraction of a knot the vang just adds another set of lines to handle and manage.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

Bob23

I first learned about the dual mainsheet cleats this summer while aboard Bob's Horizon Cat. I'm thinking about adapting that arrangement to my 23 as part of this winters upgrades. It makes perfect sense and doesn't cost a lot of $. Plus I'm due for new running rigging anyway. Thanks for the great pictures, Capt Nemo...and I'm glad you are still maintaining a presence here as we all benefit from your experience and expertise!
Bob23

Peapod

Thank you all for your very helpful, balanced replies!

I like the idea of solving the end-boom problems rather than changing to mid-boom and creating a new set of problems and a new learning curve.  I think I'll go that way for now, and if I'm still unhappy with it later I can then move to mid-boom sheeting.

Where can I get details on the dual mainsheet ends?

Now, as I warned, on to my next comment!

Catawampus

I like the mid boom sheet and the additional control on sail shape that it offers. Sometimes it is even advantageous to move the traveler car to windward