a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Lazy Jacks

Started by Peter Dubé, October 15, 2015, 07:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Dubé

My new to me SunCat has lazy jacks.  They are a single line on each side , small block, and a clam cleat.

I noticed today that the blocks are NOT mounted the same distance from the mast.  They are different by about 8 inches.  Is that right?

How far back from the mast should they be?  Half way?   It should be easy to remount them.

Thanks!

Peter D.
Compac Sun Cat
s/v Sun Daze
Vero Beach  FL

Catawampus

My Sun Cat was outfitted with lazy jacks. After 6 months of sailing and constantly having to adjust them to keep them from fouling sail shape, I decided to remove them. I haven't missed them. When I drop sail, I let all of the sailcloth fall to port. I keep enough tension on the peak halyard so that the gaff doesn't drop below the boom. Then I find the midpoint of the sail and roll the sail up to the boom and put my first sail tie in around the rolled sail including the outer end of the gaff and the boom. I then follow with two more sail ties forward of the first one and one sail tie aft. After this I put the sail cover on. I am happier with this process than I was with the lazy jacks. You will likely get better advice from other Sun Cat owners, but just wanted to share my experience.

Catawampus

I didn't answer your question regarding the different distance from the mast. My lazy jacks were attached to the boom at two positions on each side. with only one attachment on each side, it makes sense to me that they would be spaced at different distances from the mast. That could allow support of the sail along a greater length of the boom than if they were evenly spaced.

Craig

We have had lazy jacks on our last three boats and I really like them. Part of the problem is that if you try to use the lazy jacks as a topping lift, they will always have to be loosened for sailing and then re-adjusted when dropping sail. I have tried to reduce the number of lines I have to pull. Enter the Boomkicker which replaces the topping lift and once adjusted does not have to be touched. We also have a Mack Pack system which integrates the sail cover and lazy jacks. I never touch the lazy jacks. they are slack enough to not interfere with the set of the sail but do a great job of containing the sail. The lazy jacks on our Suncat were actually made of bungee cord and reduced the amount of adjustment needed. You might try a length of bungee cord for the lower half of the lazy jacks. You could test by simply tieing  the bungee cord to the existing jacks at the appropriate place without shortening them. If it works well you could then install them permanently. If you do install the bungee cord make sure to use marine grade UV resistant cord. Regular Walmart grade stuff will fall apart in a short period of time if left exposed. As for the block location, don't worry about it. Will not hurt the function of the lazy jacks.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

Peter Dubé

THANKS for the replies!.  This forum is invaluable to new owners.

Steve, I think I will try removing them. I have already disconnected the topping lift. If I take off the lazy jacks I will be back to how the boat was originally designed. I can always add them back. I think I will like simple.

Peter
Compac Sun Cat
s/v Sun Daze
Vero Beach  FL

Craig

You will probably re-install the topping lift(or get a Boomkicker). If the boom falls into the cockpit(it will!) and bonks the Admiral(or others)or just flails around, life will not be pretty! Trust me, been there-done that! You really need some way to control the boom and the boom gallows is not adequate especially when there is a chop and the boat is bouncing around. Just been this old salts experience. Your mileage may vary. ;D
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

Peter Dubé

Craig,

Thanks. You may be right about me putting the topping lift or lazy jacks back on after I try it without them. It's just something I have to do....  I'll tell you one thing, it sure looks a heck of a lot cleaner without all those lines!  I really like the look.

After removing the excess lines, I did re-roll the sail with the method that Steve suggested. It worked much better than I was doing before with the lazy jacks in the way. Sail is much neater and much more compact, fewer wrinkles. It should be better for the sail too.

Peter
Compac Sun Cat
s/v Sun Daze
Vero Beach  FL