a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Thanks Capt Nemo!

Started by suznhenz, September 06, 2015, 07:55:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suznhenz

Hi - I just wanted to thank Capt Nemo for posting the picture of his SunCat's gaff rigging at some point in the past. My boat is older, a 2003, and the "owner's manual" from Com-Pac shows the older style rigging, with the peak halyard attaching to the outer end of the gaff. However, my gaff has nothing to attach to there - there is the casting with a hole to attach the outhaul, which faces downward, but nothing on the upper side of the gaff to attach the halyard to. I searched for "peak halyard" in the forum, and found a person with a similar question, went through the various answers, and concluded that I was going to go with the 2 to 1 mechanical advantage setup, rather than the older 3 to 1 setup. Now, of course, I discovered that the casting on the gooseneck for the gaff has a broken "ear" where the pin to hold the sail is mounted, so I'm going to have to get a new one from the factory. Also, I can't find the gooseneck pin for the boom either. I had thought it would be a captive pin, but I guess it isn't. I would have REALLY helped if the "owner's manual" had nice rigging diagrams and pictures of hardware that I am not familiar with, as having ony sailed sloops and a Nonsuch catboat in the past. I don't speak catboat fluently yet! :-) I'm really looking forward to getting Purrfect in the water (I'm sure there must be a MILLION catboats named that!!) I just need to get the stands to hold her on our boatlift, then the fun (or the challenges) begin.

Sue

capt_nemo

suznhenz,

You're quite welcome.

Just keep plugging away and you will eventually get things to work the way they should. I'm sure you will be happy with your Sun Cat once you have addressed all the issues that concern you.

There is a lot of very knowledgeable help available here on the Sun Cat Forum, and, although I recently sold my Sun Cat, I do check in now and then.

Sail Safely,

capt_nemo