a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Mast Raising Systems

Started by Mike, August 22, 2015, 02:38:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

Just read the Small Craft Advisor review on the Voyager 20.  Was intrigued by the winch system for the mast raising system and wonder if any of you have devised or used such a system on the Compac 19.  I have a system operated with blocks but thought the winch controlled from cockpit would be great for single handed mast raising operations.

cal27sailor

Mike...there are several posts regarding mast raising systems that folks have built.  Just do,a search and you will find them.  I have made two different gin poles with a winch attached to the gin poles but Both have failed because I cannot get the baby stays/bridles properly set at keep having the mast slide sideways and damage the turnbuckle.  I would be interested if you figure out a better system.  I keep looking at the A-Frame systems but still not sure about the baby stays.

Tony
Tony
"Rita Marlene", 1984 Com-Pac 19
Tsa-La-Gi Yacht Club, Okay, OK

Mike

my system came off a parted out Venture 21 boat and works pretty well but you have to watch the stays as it goes up (backstay can foul as well)
This can be done easily from the cockpit but would be much easier with a winch  (control led aft).  Currently I have a line led aft from the block system at the bow pulpit which I turn around the jib winch.  Again the problem is starting and stopping (to clear a shoud) while mast goes up. 

crazycarl

our previous boat, a starwind 19, had a heavier and longer mast than the compac.  i solo sailed it often and didn't have a second person to crank a winch while i kept the mast from wandering from side to side.

i bought square tube steel that was just a little larger than the original trailer winch stanchion.  this was slid over the original with 2 holes for bolts so it could be extended when raising the mast, then lowered for towing.

with a bullet block attached at the top of the extended stanchion, the working end of the main halyard was placed on the block and lowered to the ground where a counter weight was attached.  the halyard is then tightened until the weight is at the top of the stanchion and the bitter end cleated off.  1 hand is all that is needed to raise the mast and the counter weight holds the mast vertical while you go forward and attach the fore-stay.

i experimented to find the best weight. (28lbs.)  the boat was also equipt with a CDI furler.

when lowering the mast, you simply reverse the process.  the weight is left on the ground and you pull the mast down, raising the weight to the top.

i 1st built the stanchion extension out of a 2X4 and used 6" jorgensen woodworking clamps to attach it to find the correct height needed.  that "temporary" setup was used many times for 2 years before going to steel.

this worked great for the starwind, and when i'm too old to muscle the mast up on my compac, i'll build this same system for it.

CC

Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Tom L.

For anyone interested in mast stability while raising the mast here is what I did. I had a ODay Mariner. The mast was too awkward for a 68 year old to heft up and pin the forestay. So I did the following. The easy part is to put an extension on the winch stand and add a block at the top to run a line out to the forestay. Hook this line to the forestay and  trailer winch and you have an easy way to raise the mast. I also made a second and higher position on my mast crutch to raise the back of the mast and help reduce the angle to the winch stand. The problem is when standing on the ground the mast will swing side to side and must be stabilized.

To stabilize the mast I bought a gooseneck slide for the mast. The slide is put in the mast groove. With the mast pined at the step and set in an elevated  crutch at the transom slide the goosneck in the mast groove. I used two 2x2 pieces of lumber and made a pivoting bracket to attach them, one to port one to starboard, to the gooseneck  The other end of each 2x2 is attached to a point on the cabin top as far outboard as possible. These attachment points also need to pivot. Almost every boat will require a little design tweak for this. In my case the Mariner had turning blocks on the cabin top for jib sheets. I fashioned brackets to these blocks. The gooseneck will be positioned up the mast when the mast is in the lowed position. It's not important where these deck attachments are located but they must be aft of the step. As the mast is raised the gooseneck assembly with the (2) 2x2 struts slide down the mast and  keep the mast positively locked in line.  When the mast is vertical simply pin the forestay unbolt the struts and you're done. I made the struts 6' long so I could easily reach them from the cabin top.

This assembly is a triangle that will not permit the mast to move side to side. It is so rigid that one time I hooked up the starboard base point backwards from the port side. It did fine lowering the mast and keeping it stable but when it came to the crutch it was off center by about 5" and I could not force the mast into the crutch. I had to raise the mast back up and reposition (center) the deck attachment points.

It worked very well for the 19 foot Mariner which has a fairly large mast.

Now I have a Sun Cat with a permanent mounted gin pole with block and tackle to raise and lower the mast from the cockpit. I did this so I could do some of the canals in my area and it simplifies the launch ramp to water even more. The hinge on this system is strong and will keep the mast aligned with out worry. Easy peasy.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat