Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

new owner commisioning help

Started by Scott Statz, July 19, 2006, 01:31:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Statz

Hello All

I would like any help comments...  I am in the process of finalizing the purchase of a 1980/81? CP23. 
Any words of wisdom, things to look for before I sign the check, instructions for stepping the mast, or any peculiarities the CP-23?

Looking forward to the feed back.
Thanks

crbakdesign

HI Scott,

Apparently all our CP23 sailors are out at sea right now.  As a CP owner of both a 16 and 19, I can tell you that there isn't a lot of surprises with a Com-pac unless you expect to be disappointed.  Depending on how the boat was maintained over the years, you may find some minor items that need to be repaired or replaced. My CP has been in a fresh water slip for nearly 25 years and is tight as a drum.  My 16 stood in someone's backyard and was water filled.  I had to gut the 16 and replace the interior woodwork, but it came back to life and was a great sailor. Most of my work on the 19 has been modifications to make it to my liking, finding little to repair. 

There are some great mast raising ideas on this site as well.  You can fabricate an assembly of two by four wood, winch and couple of blocks that allow you to raise the mast single handed.  The 23's sail like a larger version of the 16, whereas the 19 is a bit more flat-bottomed.  All of them are very stable boats.  One complaint you may read occasionally is that the Com-pacs don't point well.  I have sailed with and alongside a number of other boats, and I think this has as much to do with how well rigged your sails are.  You need some wind to sail her, she does better in stronger breezes than light airs, but that's obvious from looking at her.  A Com-pac is made for cruising and can be quite comfortable.  She's not likely to be the fastest boat in your waters, but with the right winds she will dance in the waves.  Good choice!

mgoller

I second Clemens' comments.  There isn't much going to go wrong unless its obvious.  If you like the boat buy it.  A 1980 will be a little more basic than later models without some interior trim and the cove stripe, bow sprit. 
If you aren't up for work on a boat then you should hold out for one that has all the features you want.  Your work will be in the hunting rather than procurement of parts and pieces and sweat equity.
When I bought my first house I was nervous and unsure.  My Dad was in town.  He stood there looked around and said, "I think you'll like it here."

Scott Statz

Thanks for the help.  The boat has had some improvements.  I am going to step the mast today after it cools down outside.  I know that the halyards are shot.

Thanks and stay in touch

John on the Bay

Hi Scott,

I bought my 1989 CP 23 on June 1 of this year, and am VERY pleased. I was out on it twice today; once pre-dawn, and again this afternoon as well.

I relplaced the roller furling line, the knot meter wheel, and the gaskets around the portholes, which might not have been absolutely necessary to replace.

I spoke with a Compac dealer in the area and he said he didn't sell a lot of Compacs because they last almost forever. I'm not sure why I don't see more of them on the water. It's really a great sailing boat, and the lines are great. My only problem is an Osprey who thinks he owns rights to sitting on the top of my mast. I like Osprey's, but the darn bird is using my deck as a your know what.

Did you by the boat? Do you like it?

I'm nervous about taking down the mast at the end of the season, but may have found another CP 23 owner in Maryland who might walk me through it when the time comes.

John on the Bay

Craig Weis

Scott. No big deal taking down the mast on a 23.
Put the boat on the trailer.

Park the trailer on the tarmac.

Have someone on a line tied to the head stay or furler and run that line through the anchor roller and cleat this line off on the trailer.

You want to be able to play this line out as the mast goes down. Controls the 'drop', takes the weight a bit, and provides a safety if something goes wrong. Just yell out to cleat off and let her hang while the problem is fixed.

Before all this undo the wiring or connections between boat and mast. Also loosen the Tabernacle so the mast will rise in the slot as it comes down.

Additionally prepare a landing for the mast. I use a 2x4 u-bolted to the fwd and stern pulpits.

Loosen the back stay enough to undo the fwd stay.

Do not undo the side standing rigging or the back stay. Just the head stay..

Simply put your shoulder in to it and walk the mast backwards. At somepoint you will need to step off the sliding compangionway and down into the cockpit with mast resting on your shoulder or let it hang on the safety line until you take another grip.

I have done this on a 23 and a 19. skip.

Oh off set the mast on the 2x4's so one can climb down into the cockpit without dodging the mast. And take the mast out of the Tabernacle and pull it fwd. Tie it down over a few towels. Easy.

Scott Statz

I have bought the boat! Yea!

I actually have had the mast up and down several times now.  No problems at all.  I started to assemble a single handed rigging system and plan to test it next week.  I originally stepped the mast while it was on the trailer.  Mainly to make sure everytihng was there and intact before I bought the boat.  Since then I've added a windex and a masthead light (which still needs to be wired.). 

Next will be dimmable deck lights on the spreader bars.  I live in Madison, WI and she is moored on Lake Mendota.  We spend a lot of time sailing at night.

So far all is well.  We have decided to name hull #59 "On the Rocks".  Her genny is getting the leech cord pocket sewn up at a local sail loft (some guys living room floor).  The outboard that came with the boat is in for a complete make over.  Rudder is sloppy and needs attention.  I will be considering a new main.  If anyone has suggestions - please send them on.

She came with a furler system but I don't think it belongs to this boat.  There is no bowsprit and the forstay and headsail fasten to the same chainplate.  I think that the furler is for a different type of rigging?  Does that make sense?  I will try and get that together this winter.  Inventory also included a genny and stom jib.

Her interior is in pretty rough shape. Winter project.  I may take the opportunity to reconfigure the below decks to meet our needs?  Otherwise, she is exactly what we were looking for in a boat.  She performs well enough, easy to sail single handed and very comforatble...  I think she'll be a member of our family for quite a while.  For now we'll sail her as much as possible, teach mom to be comfortable and confident at the helm, try to bring her topsides back to life, and entrain freinds.

I'm teaching my son how to sail on his boat (my old Victoria 18) and my wife how to sail on our Com-Pac 23.  When we met, I had a PaceYacht 23 "Chicken Lips" (see this months issue of Good Old Boat).  Madison has four lakes; Mendota, Menona, Waubesa and Kegonsa.  Mendota and Menona are perfect for a boat like this.  If anyone is ever in town our would like to trailer here, We're your hosts.  We don't have many Osprey around here but there is other forms of entertain

If any one had tips on purchasing a new main, I'd like to hear from you.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

K3v1n

Best wishes with your new Com-Pac.
They are great boats!

-Kevin
1981 Com-Pac 16 MK I

www.emptynestsailing.com
Panacea SailBlog

JERSEY SHORE TRAILER SAILERS

ramble on

About your sloppy rudder; i had to take mine to a machine shop which re-drilled the gudgeons and pintles for a slightly larger ss bolt. $150

the best deal i found on a new main is from cruising direct 888 424 7328. the have stock catalina 22 mains that are almost the exact size you will need for around $500.

if you need custom work, try mack sails who will modify size and install full battens for about $700.

Ramble On