a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Everyone up North out of the water?

Started by alsantini, October 22, 2015, 04:09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsantini

I figure that most of us are out of the water if we live up North and since I am in Northern Illinois, I fall into that category.  Boat has been out for 2 weeks now.  Pulled it early since I had two teaching dates and oral surgery on the calendar.  All went well.  Boat is now clean and ready for either travel to Florida, which I am still hopeful will occur, or with a little additional work will weather out winter here.  Travel for us is still up in the air with my wife's Mother still not doing all that well.  If I listen hard I can hear Florida calling my name and the name of the boat.  "Al, bring Off The Wind down here to play in the Gulf"....  LOL  Oh well, anyone else have plans for travel this winter?  How about boat projects planned?  Keep in touch everyone.  There aren't many of us, so we need to stick together.  Anyone know the last Eclipse number built?  Maybe they are in the 90's by now.  My 2007 is #49.  Take care all....    Al

waterwheels

Al,

I have mine out of the water too up here in Ontario. Working on cleaning up the teak, then sanding to freshen up. Then three coats of Cetol light and one coat of gloss on now, and hoping temperatures stay warm enough to finish another coat of gloss. Going to have a look at the log book soon and tally up the knots covered, nights on board etc.
Is the boat number in the hull #?  Mine is a 2014 Hull id ABV18072C414.
Hope things work out for you to get south with your boat.

Don
"Living Water"

alsantini

I believe you have hull #72.  Not many of them around especially when you look at some Hobie 16's that have numbers in the hundred of thousands.  Sounds like you are on top of the teak, a never ending battle.  Where do you live and where do you sail?  I live in Elgin, Illinois and sail primarily on the Chain of Lakes in Northern Illinois, moving to Nokomis Florida sailing the Gulf in winter.

alsantini

Don.  Where in Ontario do you live and sail?  I live in Elgin, Illinois (West of Chicago), summer sail in Northern Illinois Chain of Lakes with the boat in Bay View Marina on Pistakee Lake.  I do some traveling with the boat also and sailed in Lake Mendota in Madison Wisconsin, and Lake Geneva, Wisc.  Winter we are in Nokomis Florida with sailing on the Gulf outside of Venice, FL with trips to Charlotte Harbor, Sarasota, and Boca Grande.  The Eclipse is in my estimation the perfect boat for the type of traveling and sailing that I like to do.  Did you buy your 2014 Eclipse new?  I am the third owner of Off The Wind.  First in Texas, next in Kansas City and then in 2014 she followed me home.  I believe that this will be my last boat (and 7th one).  My previous boat was a Precision 21 that I had for 13 years.  Stepping the mast just became a daunting task as I approached 70 years old and I wanted to travel and trailer/sail.  I also have an MCScow (currently up for sale) that I race weekends with the Lake Summerset Yacht Club.  I know I have read posts about Living Water but know little about where you sail, etc.
Al

skip1930

Out of the water 15 October, ran the engine fuel out of the carb, over to the coin car wash and placed into the cement floored, well sealed county fair cattle barn.
The model 'A' was the next day, same barn. 
I just disconnect the battery terminals and spread out a few dryer sheets on both units.
Good enough. Never had a problem.

skip.

waterwheels

Al, I ended up with a slip in Kincardine Ontario just 10 minutes from my home.(search on google) or web cam
http://www.kinsurf.co/surf-cams.html
I work 12 hours shift work so I find it easier to get out for a quick sunset cruise after work.
However with the Eclipse you are not confined to one area. I usually take one "trailer sail" every summer. This past summer it was more of a canal motor trip. 184 miles on the Rideau Canal from Kingston to Merrickville Ontario.

We did buy the Eclipse new from the only Canadian Dealer http://www.saileasyyacht.ca We have really enjoyed moving up to the Eclipse from a CL-16. I am hoping to get a few extras for her next year.

Don
Living Water

Mike K

Hi Al,

My P21 is out of the water now for 3 weeks up here in Delaware. However, my CP Legacy in North Port FL. is calling me down saying "come sail me on Charlotte Harbor..."

Our plan is to head down over the Cristmas holidays and do a day sail on the harbor. Who knows, we may even do an overnight trip to Cayo Costa.
Mike K.  2015 Eclipse  Previously owned Com-Pac Legacy, Precision 21, MacGregor 21 Seaward 25

alsantini

Mike the conversations that we could have...  Both P-21 owners and both Com Pac owners.  Cool.   Sounds like a plan to get the Legacy out on the harbor.  It would be a great sail but albeit a long one - probably 30 miles to Cayo Costa.  I sailed there last year from Uncle Henry's Marina on Boca Grande.  Used the intercostal water to the East of Boca Grande.  Had a great sail there, arrived around noon.  Had lunch on the boat and then the wind died - I mean dead!  Wound up motor/sailing all the way back.  Great day anyway.
Not sure when we will arrive.  Everything up in the air for now.  Taking it day by day.  Hope to connect with you sometime when you are down there and sail together.  Either Eclipse of Legacy....
Al

Mike K

Hi Al,

Yes, it would be good to meet you if we were down there at the same time.  Our Christmas to New Years FL visit is fairly firmed up, so if you happen to find yourself down there during that time, give me a shout.

Last year I solo sailed from Bokeelia ramp to Cayo Costa, not very long as the crow flies, but I was headed directly into the afternoon sea breeze, so it was a very lively beat to weather.  This was to attend the West Coast (Florida) Trailer Sailing Squadron (WCTSS) event.  Next time, I might try to trailer from Eldreds Marina ramp near Placida.  Although longer, it seems like it's more abeam of the often prevailing sea breezes, at least in the afternoon.

Anyway, it was a great time with the WCTSS.  Now that I think about it, I barely had enough room in the Legacy cabin  for me and a tiny 8 Lb dog.  It would be very tight for 2 humans with gear!  Even if we don't sail to Cayo Costa at the very least, a day sail is definitely on the "to do" list.  Hope to see you down there.
Mike K.  2015 Eclipse  Previously owned Com-Pac Legacy, Precision 21, MacGregor 21 Seaward 25

kickingbug1

i will sail as long as they have the docks in.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

ChuckD

Still great sailing on the Olympic Peninsula, WA!
s/v Walt Grace (CP16)
Sequim, WA

Bob23

Well I don't know if NJ is considered "up north" but I'm still in sailing and rowing. Best time of year- clear water and colorful fall leaves form a wonderful contrast to the cedars and pines.
Bob23 the blessed.

kickingbug1

rich tells me that he has sailed in the snow before-----maybe a little too radical for this old bugger
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Lafayette Bruce

Still awesome here in Northern Indiana.  Sailed the last two weekends in a row and taking Thursday off work to bond some more.
Lafayette Bruce
Lafayette Bruce