a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Mast raising gin pole

Started by Tom L., June 15, 2015, 10:03:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom L.

For anybody that has the mast raising gin pole that remains in place using the forestay and a four to one block and tackle which leads back to the cockpit. I have a question. When you lower the mast and prepare to trail. How do you store the system? I am getting ready to fabricate the gin pole which is more like a spreader and need to determine how to hook everything up.

I may need fast pins to disconnect the forestay/block and tackle or maybe not. What do you all do?

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

Joseph

Tom,

I can still raise Sassy's mast unaided and with one arm, but I do feel it getting heavier every year... and I've thought that time might come when some kind of assistance might be welcome. Although the need for such assistance might be a strong indicator for further adjustments in one's physical activities, I am neverthelss curious as to how a gin pole would work in the SunCat (with the mast being so much forward) and how one could limit the tendency of the mast to sway sideways (which might put a huge stress on the mast hinge) while raising the mast from the cockpit single-handed. 

J.
"Sassy Gaffer"
SunCat 17 #365

Tom L.

Hi Joseph, It's not so much about making it easier to raise the most as it is very easy as it is. It's more about simplifying and making the process as convenient as possible. The Gin pole is an option offered by compact. I tested it on a used boat in Saint Pete. The head stay is shortened and attache to the end of the gin pole. A block and tackle is attached to the gin pole and down to the steam head fitting. The tail of the block and tackle are run back to a rope clutch on the cabin top. The mast can be raised or lowered from the cockpit. The whole system stays in place and becomes the forestay. It is the same as a bigger boats side stay with a spreader. In this case the gin pole preforms like a spreader.

The gin pole is attached to the mast hinge using the existing pivot points but with slightly longer bolts. I trail my boat all the time and I want to be in the water fast this just speeds up the process cutting the mast raising time. It is also very convenient to lower the mast when going under bridges on the water.

You do have to be careful that the boat is not rolling in waves or if there is a strong cross wind. The hinge is stable enough to use in normal conditions but the mentioned issues could bent the hinge. These problems have to be dealt with when raising the mast by hand as well.  But I find that a person lifting the mast is maybe more likely to accidental put more stress on the hing raising the mast by hand.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

Joseph

Tom,

I think I now understand how this kind of gin pole would work in a SunCat.

Much appreciated.

J.
"Sassy Gaffer"
SunCat 17 #365

Tom L.

Joseph,

You have to see it to believe it.  Really makes handling the rigging of the mast possible entirely from the cockpit. I will only have to go on the deck to take the sail cover off.

Tom L.

Schumway

My Suncat has the gin pole system.  When mast is down the gin pole folds back along the mast. I take the slack up on the block and tackle and leave it in place. Ball bunges secure forestay and shrouds.  I have lowered mast to pass under a bridge a couple times.

Tom L.

I thought maybe that would work. Did you have to make a slit on each side of the sail cover to expose the hinge pins and allow the cover to slip down over the sail? Thanks for the info. Very helpful.

Tom L.

Well it's done. I fabricated my gin pole and it works really nice. I used a block and tackle that gave me a 5:1 purchase which leads back to the cabin top to a Gauerhauer rope clutch. The gin pole which is really more like a spreader was made from two  1.25 x .25 Aluminum Bar. A little overkill but alum. bar is cheap.

The whole thing works like a dream. Last time I launched I had some overhanging trees. I just launched and put the mast up at the dock. It doesn't take any more time than lowering the Centerboard.

Tom L.