a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Halyard size

Started by cal27sailor, July 22, 2015, 12:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cal27sailor

I want to change out all three of my halyards.  I use 7/16 and 1/2 on my Islander 28 and always used 1/4" on my Catalina 22.  Can someone tell me what the original size was for the early Compac 19s?  Mine is a 1984.  Not sure if what is on the boat is correct.  The previous owner actually has two lines tied together for the halyard on the CDI furler, which means only a portion of the line will actually fit in the slot on the extrusion.  Old halyards are all worn and I want to insure they do not fail on me.

Thanks....Tony
Tony
"Rita Marlene", 1984 Com-Pac 19
Tsa-La-Gi Yacht Club, Okay, OK

cal27sailor

I actually called Hutchins and was told that the boat would have originally had all halyards and sheets made with 5/16" line.  The CDI furler takes 1/4".  Ordering replacements today!

Tony
Tony

Salty19

Yep, 5/16" (8mm)  for everything.  3/8" spliced dock lines are the largest that will fit through the cleats as well. Meaning pinch the spliced end (2 line thicknessness) through cleat bottom and wrap around cleat.

You could use 1/4" on a boom vang and preventer.

Also 1/8" is the topping lift hole opening size.

You going to splice 'em yourself? Different colors?
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

cal27sailor

Thanks Salty.  I'm buying them pre-spliced with new bail shackles added.  It will be a big improvement.  Not needing docklines at this point as she is strictly a trailer sailer. 

Tony
Tony