a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Skylight!

Started by rbh1515, July 15, 2015, 07:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbh1515

My Horizon Day Cat came with a very nice stainless cowl vent.  The only problem is that it is connected directly to the cabin top without a dorade box....water (rain etc) has direct access to the cabin!  Not good.  I liked the idea of ventilation, but decided the best solution was to turn the vent into a skylight.  I had a glass company cut two pieces of glass, and fuse them together so them would fit perfectly into the collar that holds the cowl vent in place.  The glass is inserted instead of the vent.  Now no leaks into the cabin.

2015 Horizon Day Cat, Waters End

Subsailor637

Makes a lot more sense.  Seems that the Hutchin brothers are usually pretty good on design concepts but I have followed your posts and the installation of that vent without a dorade box made no sense at all.  The possibility of rain coming in was real, let alone the fact that if you got into some rough seas you could take a good swallow into your cabin.  Great improvisation!
2013 ComPac Horizon Cat DOLPHIN
Punta Gorda FL

rbh1515

Gerry says they have done this in many boats in the past and there have been no issues.  I noticed that a CP19 down the dock from me has a cowl vent directly connected to a hatch.  I'll have to check to see if he has any issues.
I would like to have ventilation, but it looks like most of their smaller boats don't have vents.  The Horizon Cat doesn't.  I just keep a couple of tubs of damp rid in the boat to take up any excess moisture.
Rob

capt_nemo

Sorry guys, but if it were my boat I would have either ordered when new, purchased, or made, a Dorade box for the cowl vent. Or better yet, tell the factory to leave it off and then do your own thing when you take delivery. I know, they molded the cabin top for "something round".

I strongly believe that the ventilation provided by such a "dry" vent is far more important than a Skylight.

I'm the guy that ordered his brand new 2010 Sun Cat without that useless little window on the cabin front and without the high maintenance teak wood eyebrow around the cabin top edge that was standard factory gear at the time. NEVER REGRETTED THOSE DECISIONS - AND THE BOAT LOOKED GREAT! Easier to keep clean and waxed also!

capt_nemo

rbh1515

I wish I had know that there was no dorade...I would have ordered the boat without a vent.  I think it would be difficult to build a dorade, and if I bought a dorade from the manufacturer, it would stick up high and may get in the way of the boomkicker.  Also, if I got a dorade from the manufacturer, the hole in the deck would have to be enlarged.  No good solutions thus the skylight.
I like the "useless" little port on the cabin front, but agree the teak eyebrow would be a maintenance PITA.
Rob

Shawn

Rob,

How big is the hole? You might check out:

http://www.air-onlyventilators.com/home/

To see if you can find something that fits.

My 23 had a cowl vent with no dorade box. I was initially concerned with it but it turned out to be no big deal. If I was concerned about rain I could just spin it to face backwards or replace it with the deck cap that sealed it up.

My Sabre has a similar sized cowl vent on a dorade box. My impression is that it flows much less air and increasing ventilation in the Sabre is something I am planning.

Shawn

Subsailor637

rbh1515, are you bringing your HDC to CLR this year?
Punta Gorda FL

rbh1515

Quote from: Subsailor637 on July 19, 2015, 01:30:27 PM
rbh1515, are you bringing your HDC to CLR this year?

Ok...I have seen this CLR mentioned, but don't know wher or when it is taking place.
Rob

rbh1515

Shawn,
I had not seen this web site.  I thin the hole is 3", but I'll have to check.
The problem with the vent is that the boat is in a slip, and I'm not around to adjust the vent to wind direction most of the time.  Even with the stainless steel disc in place, water gets through and creates a puddle on the v berth.
Rob

Quote from: Shawn on July 19, 2015, 09:27:35 AM
Rob,

How big is the hole? You might check out:

http://www.air-onlyventilators.com/home/

To see if you can find something that fits.

My 23 had a cowl vent with no dorade box. I was initially concerned with it but it turned out to be no big deal. If I was concerned about rain I could just spin it to face backwards or replace it with the deck cap that sealed it up.

My Sabre has a similar sized cowl vent on a dorade box. My impression is that it flows much less air and increasing ventilation in the Sabre is something I am planning.

Shawn

Tom L.

Plastimo makes a cowl vent with round dorado box. It is designed to eliminate water that may come through with the air with an internal cone shaped cap over the down pipe. The water runs over the internal cap and out onto the deck from under the larger diameter housing. They have been around for years and will most likely fit your deck opening. West and defender carry these types of vents. They are a little taller than a standard cowl vent. Who ever made your existing cowl vent may make a round dorado box for your product. It's a common issue with cowl vents on the foredeck. Google plastimo pvc vents.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

rbh1515

Tom,
The company who made the current stainless cowl vent has a round dorade...I would have to do surgery on the boat, and the combo would stick up pretty high.
Skylight it is!

Tom L.

That's good. You need to do what works for you. I just thought maybe you didn't know what was available. Good luck with your new boat.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

Bob23

Although this is a different boat (23) you get the picture.

I took a stock teak dorade and cut it down a bit so it sat level for appearance sake. The stock one seemed to be a bit out of proportion. Although it seems like it crowds the foredeck, its really not in the way and I've never gotten a drop in the boat. I'm siding with Capt. Nemo on the ventilation vs slylight issue. And because my boat is moored, the vent always faces the wind!
Bob23

kickingbug1

the CLR takes place from july 27 through the 31st on Carlyle lake in Illinois (east of st louis).
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Subsailor637

Quote from: rbh1515 on July 19, 2015, 07:37:37 PM
Ok...I have seen this CLR mentioned, but don't know wher or when it is taking place.
Rob

CLR is at Carlyle Lake (Carlyle Illinois).  This year it runs from Monday July 27th ending on Friday July 31st.  This is the first year I am attending but I hear it is a great event, bringing together all types of Com-Pac sailboats
Punta Gorda FL