a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Deck holes

Started by hobnob, January 23, 2007, 09:37:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hobnob

Here's a newbie question for y'all.  I recently acquired a 78 CP16 and some of the hardware isn't what/where I would like it.  When you remove hardware, what is the usual method of repairing the holes left behind in the deck.  For example there was a partial compass/clinometer screwed to the companionway hatch that was completely in the way and quite ugly.  Now there's 4 holes there.

TIA

fafnir

I would use epoxy thickened with silica and then pick up a gell coat patch kit.  Fill the holes with the thickened epoxy and then using the different pigments with the patch kit try your best to match the color, then wet sand smooth.  It is not as hard as it sounds.

multimedia_smith

You can get a product from a hobby/model shop called "microballoons" (it looks like white dust, but it's really tiny styrofoam balls)  We use it in model sailboat construction/repair and ComPac factory uses it in their cores instead of wood because it won'd delaminate.  The reason you would want to thicken up your epoxy with that stuff is:  it's light, and the particles interlock (like gravel and sand in concrete) to make it stronger.  A bonus for you is that it makes the epoxy white.
Dale

suncat202

Gellcoat will not stick to epoxy. I would use 3M filler "above & below water level" , mix it up and press it in the holes, use acetone to wipe it down to be just below the surface. Next day use a knife point to remove filler at the gelcoat edge so there is a lip on the old gelcoat. Don't want the blue filler right up the the surface or it will show when you sand the gelcoat down. Next day tape around the holes and fill to the top of the tape with the gelcoat. Next day sand with 80-120-220-320-400-600-1200 & wax to get the finish perfect.
If you are going to put screws in use the 3M extra strength filler, it has glass strands in to add strength. Basic Filler is used to fair hulls etc and will be very smooth.

Craig Weis

Fill the screw holes with an epoxy and micro balloon mixture from a hobby shop and mix up a dash of the right color enamel paint and dab on. Wet sand re-dab and wet sand again till you are not able to see the repair...

BY THE WAY RICK FROM COM-PAC TOLD ME AT THE BOAT SHOW THAT, "THERE IS NO GEL COAT USED IN THE MOLD MAKING THE HAND MADE LAY-UP. And MICRO BALLONS ARE THE FILLER."

Honest that's what he told me. skip.