a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Mast Crutch

Started by cal27sailor, July 10, 2015, 10:14:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cal27sailor

I built a new mast crutch for my CP19 this evening.  I found photos on this site for a mast crutch used by the previous owners of a CP16 named "Grace Period".  The crutch was built using 2x6 lumber and sandwiched the rudder bracket.  It sets up very easy and holds the mast at a good height for both trailering and stepping the mast.  The only change I made was to build in a bow roller to help the mast slide back into position for attaching to the tabernacle.  If I can ever figure out how to post photos I will include some on the site.

Tomorrow I will make a few changes to my gin pole mast raising system and give it another try.  I think I have all the kinks worked out this time!

Tony
1984 CP19 "Rita Marlene"
Tony
"Rita Marlene", 1984 Com-Pac 19
Tsa-La-Gi Yacht Club, Okay, OK

capt_nemo

Sounds great. Anything you can do to make handling the mast easier and SAFER is well worth the effort.

When you get tired of all the effort required to raise and lower your mast you'll be looking for a boat with a hinge-like tabernacle for the mast. The Sun Cat Mastender Hinge is/was easy to handle and took only MINUTES to rig at the ramp.

capt_nemo