a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

tiller locks and clutches

Started by curtisv, September 19, 2013, 09:36:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

curtisv

A while back there was some discussion of tiller locks and tiller clutches.  Look in http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=6773.0.

I did buy the Schaefer Midshipman II Tiller Lock and it seems a whole lot sturdier.  There is a little problem in that if the line is led back lower than the tiller it will slip out when the lock is released.  I could pitch the aft end of the tiller lock down and solve it but for now I just tied the lines to the stern pulpit at the same level and it seems fine.

Here are some photos of the broken Davis Tiller Tamer.  It is broken on both sides.

Here are some closeups of the damaged parts.

As you can see one side was broken leaving a sharp edge.  No wonder the thing was eating up lines in past seasons.  The other side looks like it had a similar break and then broke a second time after which it would no longer hold the line in place on that side.  It also looks like abrasion of the line has worn away some of the plastic on the stopper piece that is pressed down on the line.

It seems the Davis Tiller Tamer is no match for the Compac weather helm, at least if you sail a CP23 in moderately rough conditions.

I'm considering sending the thing back to Davis and asking them if they have any comment on this.  I don't really want them to send me a new one unless they improved it a lot, but they should know about this.

Curtis
----------------------------------
Remote Access  CP23/3 #629
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA
http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access

Bob23

While I can attest that the Davis cannot handle the weather helm of the 23, mine has never broken. I plan to replace it with either the Tiller Clutch or this:
http://www.cansail.com/
If I do, I can give you my old one...maybe you can cannabalize it for parts.
Bob23

Mattlikesbikes

I just mounted a old Davis Tiller Tamer that i found in a box of parts last week. if it breaks or sucks I plan on getting this tiller clutch

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|2331321|2331343|2331347&id=1826239

wes

Big shout-out for the Wavefront Tiller Clutch (Matt's Defender link), a beautifully crafted piece of American engineering created right in my backyard (Pittsboro NC) by a serious sailor/inventor. I met him at a Jordan Lake boat ramp and got an mpromptu demo last summer. Very impressed with the build quality and elegant design.

Can't bring myself to call it the "Cadillac" of tiller locks. How about the "Tesla" of tiller locks?

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

Pete H

I use a Wavefront tiller clutch on my Legacy. I have in a previous post described it as like a Harley Davidson, good solid American engineering. Strong, simple, fit for purpose, all metal and over engineered. Should last an age, again similar to my 1989 Sportster.

Cheers,
Pete H
Muggler (Compac Legacy)
Victoria
Australia
" Nothing satisfies the man who is not satisfied with a little".   Epicurus 341 BC-270BC

curtisv

OK so now that I've used the Schaefer Midshipman II Tiller Lock here are some initial impressions.

It definitely won't slip.  With 3/8 line you may break the tiller (or rudder) first.  I'm not fond of the line they provided.  The snubber and other line gadget are worthless.

It needs to be mounted on top of the tiller.  Otherwise if the line goes slack it can fall out when unlocked.  If mounted on the bottom, it helps to keep the line tight and pulling up a bit but even then if you lift the tiller when unlocked, the line falls out.

Going forward I have a few choices.

One choice is to deal with the holes that now exist on the bottom of the tiller.  Nothing a piece of mahogany can't fix and some varnish.  Redoing the varnish will be a pain.

Another choice is to try to come up with some sort of likely home made fairlead that keeps the line from falling out.

Yet another and maybe the best choice is to mount a metal (or wooden) strap under the whole thing (putting the line in first) using the same mount screw holes that mount the tiller lock.

Seems like a design flaw that if mounted below the tiller the line falls out.  Seems best to go with cansail if you want to mount a lock (not clutch) below the tiller.

btw- My Davis Tiller Tamer did work reasonably well for a while.  It slipped under a lot of load and eat line.  It did last about 10 years before breaking to the point of being useless.

Curtis
----------------------------------
Remote Access  CP23/3 #629
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA
http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access

skip1930

This tiller lock works well and can be shortened up and stowed. And it works on either side. And keeps one side open for what ever.

skip.

BruceW

Hey, folks, this is my second tiller lock; I got one of the first made by my friend Pete as he was setting up the production for his Wavefront company. I had that one on the tiller of my Slipper 17.

Now I found one and have installed it on the tiller of my CP 23. Once I take the tiller back to the boat here is my question:

With the end boom sheeting, I'm curious where you folks are tying off the line. I would have picked the two rear stanchions that have the little loop at the bottom. The Port side one might conflict with the sheet. Does it?

Thanks!
Bruce Woods
Raleigh: WR 17
New Bern: CP 23

mayrel

The Wavefront tiller tamer seems to be a great idea, but at $77 it's expensive.  The other tamers don't seem to work that well or hold up.  I think the old "Louisiana" tiller tamer is probably what I'll use.