a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Removing Sliding Hatch?

Started by Jeff, July 13, 2015, 12:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Hi CP Owners - I would like to remove the sliding hatch cover on my HC to clean and lubricate underneath and then slide it back in place. There is sand / grit I can't reach and it grinds the gelcoat when I slide it. Has anyone done this without removing the teak guides? Also, I'm wondering if there may have been some plastic guides / washers that it slides on that are now missing on mine because it is just sliding glass on glass... And I have to lift the hatch cover up and over the hatch boards when locking. Jeff

rbh1515

Jeff,
Someone else recently asked this.  I just bought a new Horizon Day Cat, and after seeing the question I checked out how my hatch slides.  Its just fiberglass against fiberglass.  Also, you have to lift the hatch over the boards to lock...so you are not missing anything. My previous boat, a Catalina 28, had teflon tape that the hatch slid on.  On the Catalina Direct site they have teflon tape for sale.  I installed the tape on my HDC and it works great.  I did not take the hatch off.  First I slid the hatch forward, and lifted it up, and installed a length of tape.  Then I slid it back, and installed a 2nd length of tape.  There is about a 1-2" gap with no tape, which is no big deal, since the tape slightly lifts the hatch up.
Rob
2015 Horizon Day Cat, Waters End