a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Friskies Voyages on Lake Murray

Started by nreamer, September 07, 2015, 08:56:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nreamer

If it is of interest, I would like to post periodic updates on our antics in our home waters, with occasional updates on journeys elsewhere. Today was what I would call our first real / enjoyable sail since we bought Frisky in June.  It has simply been too hot and no wind since then.  Of course, we knew that going in.  Our lake is a three season lake, fall, winter and spring.  If there is a windy day in the summer, well, that is just a bonus.  

Stats:  
Distance Traveled:  15.0 Nautical miles.
Average Speed:  2.8 kts.
Highest Observed Speed:  4.8 kts
Wind was forecast ENE at 7 - 8 kts.

We left our dock at 12:47PM and returned at 6:07PM.  The great majority of the trip was under sail.  We generally go through the "Little Gap" motor sailing both ways, as the wind just gets funky in there.  If you look on the screen shot, you should be able to figure out where the "Little Gap" is.  We sailed from the dock, but motored back in from approx. 1.5 miles out as the wind had all but died and we would still be out there as I am typing this, beating back and forth.  I decided the Tequila was sitting in the frig waiting patiently for my return, so why not exercise the motor.  

The wife is enjoying this!  The winds were perfect today, very little beating!  Very steady (at least for here) It almost looks like a powerboat track, but it was under sail with the exceptions noted above.  The temp was moderate at about 85.  Not bad.  There were quite a few motor boats out today, which was expected, given a holiday weekend, but it was not horrible.  Most waved.  One even stopped, turned around and complimented us on our beautiful catboat and wanted to know what she was!  (Thanks Nemo!). On a side note, we had people over last night.  Both guys walked out on the dock with me to check out Frisky.  They were amazed how perfect she is.  (Thanks again, Nemo!)

Well, that is about it,  nothing extraordinary to report, just a great day sailing!  I love this boat.  We are coming up with ideas to tweak her for two person cruising.  Otherwise, just enjoying the ride!  No photos, other than the tracklog screenshot.  Will try to do better in the future!

~ 2010 Suncat ~
    ~  Frisky  ~

Craig

It is amazing how many unsolicited comments and compliments Suncats elicit and Frisky is the creme de la creme!
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

nreamer

I guess I should have mentioned where Lake Murray is.  It is located in the Midlands of South Carolina, near Columbia.  Frisky lives at 31.118327 -81.393367.  Lake Murray is approximately 50,000 acres in size, and has roughly 500 miles of shoreline. 41 miles long and 14 miles wide.  There is enough to explore for quite awhile.
~ 2010 Suncat ~
    ~  Frisky  ~

PalmettoSailor

Enjoyed reading about your day on the water. Thanks for posting. Looks like you sailed right past Dreher SP.

nreamer

Palmetto, Yes, every time we sail!  Homeport is in the small cove at the top of the GPS Track.
~ 2010 Suncat ~
    ~  Frisky  ~

capt_nemo

Glad to hear that you and yours had a most enjoyable sail on "Frisky".

I'm sure that "Frisky" welcomed the opportunity to stretch her legs a bit as well.

It does my heart good to know that her new owner loves and appreciates her as I certainly did.

capt_nemo

nreamer

It was a wonderful sail.  We are out of town in for a couple of weeks in Washington State, Idaho, Montana and British Columbia.  We get back home next Saturday. The winds Sunday are forecast for 12 kts.   You can see what I am thinking about!  :-) 

Frisky is home on the trailer, covered and waiting....  My neighbor is keeping an eye on her.  The wife and I have had a couple of conversations during the trip on where to take an extended trip on Frisky in March, 2016.  So many options....

You have no idea how much I love this boat already. 

neil
~ 2010 Suncat ~
    ~  Frisky  ~

Joseph

Thank you for sharing your GPS track!

I noticed your three successive tacks in mid course, in what I suspect were ENE winds. I assume that in a lake there would not be much current. Hence, if you actually sailed upwind to the point of luffing and as close to the wind as the SunCat would allow, this would be determining the maximum tacking angles that one would expect from a SunCat in those conditions (120º to 130º angles). If you knew the heading direction at each tack, one could also estimate the leeway of the SunCat in those conditions which in not too dissimilar conditions, I have estimated at  about 17º. See: https://thewakesileave.wordpress.com/2015/07/13/leeway-with-the-suncat/

Thanks!

J.

"Sassy Gaffer"
SunCat 17 #365

nreamer

Had another great sail today, solo this time.  Winds were 6 - 8 with higher gusts.  Got some sustained 4.5 to 5 kt runs.  Not a cloud in the sky!  Just an absolutely wonderful day to be on the water.  Frisky held her own against an O'Day 25 today.  He never caught me until we hit a lull.  Even as he ghosted past, the winds picked up and I took a video to show I was hanging with him.  He was not sailing hard, I think he was more interested in the girl he had aboard, but I don't care!

Also, Frisky continues to draw comments.  Today, a boat pulled up alongside and the guy liked the boat so much, he asked me straight up if I would take him out on her!  From our brief conversation, he is in between sailboats and really likes the SunCat.  Maybe one day we will have a 4th boat on the lake!

neil
~ 2010 Suncat ~
    ~  Frisky  ~

Catawampus

Hello Neil,
October 9 - first sail with my new sail. 12.4 nautical miles. Averaging 3 knots.4 hours and 45 minutes.
Apologies for hijacking your thread  :)

Vipersdad

Looks like a place for a CP Rendezvous.
s/v  "MaryElla"   Com-Pac 19 / II  #436
Iceboat "Red Bird"--Polar Bear 10-Meter, Built 1953

Lake Winnebago, Lake Mendota, Lake Namakagon, Lake Superior.

"To Hutch, Gerry, Buck, and Clarkie--Who made it so much fun.".....Robert F. Burgess, Author-Handbook of Trailer Sailing 1984

nreamer

Catawampus, no worries!  That is what I like about this place.  Very laid back!

Vipersdad,  if it EVER STOPS RAINING and the WIND STARTS BLOWING, it may happen.  I am starting to feel like I am living in Portland OR.  I guess one can get used to this sort of thing with enough alcohol, but I like sunshine!  (and alcohol) :-)
~ 2010 Suncat ~
    ~  Frisky  ~

Catawampus

Another good day on Lake Murray back on April 12. Winds 7 to 9 out of the west. This was a 4-hour tour tracking 11.9 nautical miles. Posting this one because it gives a good view of the layout of the eastern end of the lake including the dam at highway 6 on the right. Lake Murray is one of  the best sailing lakes in the southeast. My voyages begin at LMSC (Lake Murray Sailing Club). Check us out at LMSC.org